[Smartmontools-database] Crucial X8 SSD

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Mon Jan 30 19:56:09 CET 2023

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Crucial X8 SSD is not supported.  This is an external USD SSD with
> 1TB, 2TB or 4TB.  It appears to contain a Micron SSD.

The attributes from the "msecli" tool show that this device uses NVMe
instead of SATA internally. If none of '-d sntasmedia', '-d sntjmicron'
or '-d sntrealtek' smartctl options work, this USB->NVMe bridge it is
still unsupported. This cannot be fixed by drive database.

> I get:
>
> /dev/sda: Unknown USB bridge [0x0634:0x5602 (0x110)]
>
> I see another Micron SSD bridge (0x0634:0x0655) in the database as
> unsupported.

The latter is unrelated because very old and therefore likely an
USB->SATA bridge, see https://www.smartmontools.org/ticket/133

> Micron has a property Linux command line tool "msecli" which can query
> SMART data.  I've attached the output of "msecli -S -n /dev/sda"
> to this email as well.

This proves that there is some vendor specific NVMe pass-through
functionality available. Cannot be implemented in smartmontools unless
someone provides documentation or sample source code.

Regards,
Christian