[Smartmontools-database] DB-update info for "Intenso 2, 5" SSD TOP - 2TB"

Jules Kerssemakers jules.kerssemakers at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 20 14:33:45 CET 2023

Hi Gabriele!

> If I would change the firmware regex in drivedb.h to match your version,
> this would be the changes in the attribute assignments / references.

Thanks for that! That (patching drivedb) is not something I would have
figured out on my own.
I've given the tentative assignemnts a once-over, and they look sensible,
as far as they changed in the last 4 months.

I'm attaching a spreadsheet with comparison of the August values (after one
power-on-hour, Smartctl was the first thing I did after unboxing this
bargain-hunt-item).
Since August, the drive has been mostly always-on in my NAS, waiting for me
to find spare minutes to run some experiments on it. Those minutes never
really came, so it was idle for almost the entire time.
I've done one "fill-it-with-random-data"-pass, and one erase cycle after
that, in an attempt to figure out the erase-block size.
The counters seem to match this perfectly.

Details (i.e. the "notes" column from the spreadsheet):

   - 9 Power_On_Hours: 1 -> 2469
   plausible, about 102 days, which means it’s been offline for 19 days
   since the previous record (“always” on)
   - 12 Power_Cycle_Count: 4 -> 12
   plausible, I’ve restarted the NAS a couple of times, but it’s mostly
   always-on
   - 164 Unknown_Attribute / maybe Total_Erase_Count: 0 -> 5091
   Sounds reasonable? If “max erase count of spec” (5050) means the amount
   of block/chips/pages/doodads in the device, this matches the reality that
   I’ve done one full write (perf test), and one full delete (reset
   afterwards), plus some spare change.
   - 169 Unknown_Attribute / maybe Remaining_Lifetime_Perc
   100 -> 100
   still at 100%? I’d hope so, the thing was mostly idle
   - 192 Power-Off_Retract_Count: 4 -> 7
   not sure how to interpret this for spinning rust, but about once per
   month for whatever it is?
   - 241 Total_LBAs_Written / maybe Host_Writes_32MiB
   Plausible: 61052*32MB = ~1.9TB → sensible, as the only thing I’ve done
   with it, is a full write and some read performance tests (trying to find
   out the erase-block size for the ZFS pool)
   - 242 Total_LBAs_Read / maybe Host_Reads_32MiB
   2 -> 24 -> 1050
   jup, increased by 1025 after doing a `dd bs=32M count=1024”, and ~700 MB
   total reads before that is realistic
   - 245 Unknown_Attribute / maybe TLC_Writes_32MiB
   0 -> 59940, sensible, I used random, thus incompressible, garbage for
   the full write, so it makes sense that the TLC (actual hardware) writes
   closely match the logical writes (attr 241)

I'd say this is a good indication that this drive fits the "generic
SiliconMotion" profile, though there are a bit too many values that didn't
change at all, so provide no information.

I'm not sure what I can do to improve the analysis for those attributes...
Suggestions welcome!

> Besides: I find it very ugly that Intenso sets no specific model
descriptor...
> Maintenance of drivedb only over the firmware string may lead to many
issues of conflict declarations :(

I wholeheartedly agree, but as I said, this is the absolute cheapest
garbage drive, so I'm not expecting too much politeness and consideration
from the manufacturer.

Have a nice holiday!
~Jules