[Smartmontools-database] long self test for SSD

Christian Franke Christian.Franke at t-online.de
Sun Nov 6 19:59:31 CET 2022

serando via Smartmontools-database wrote:
> I want to apply the command "sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sdx" to make a
> long self test applied to a SSD.
>
> Question: Does this test write data to the SSD?
> If yes: Then I think I do not want to test my SSD. Because, this would
> shorten the lifetime of my SSD.
> Am I right?

The self-tests are controlled by drive firmware. It is unknown what
happens behind the scenes unless the drive vendor documents it.
https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/FAQ#Whydoself-teststakeverylong

> So the command "sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sdx" actually is more for HDDs?

Self-tests also make sense for SSDs. Otherwise self-tests wouldn't
appear in NVMe >= 1.2.1 specs and recent NVMe SSDs.

> Would appreciate some answer. Thank you.

This is the wrong list. Please send future support questions to the
smartmontools-support list.