[Smartmontools-database] Please add INTEL SSD 750 series (NVMe drive)

R S rene.shuster at bcsemail.org
Tue Nov 16 19:16:07 CET 2021

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Christian Franke <
Christian.Franke at t-online.de> wrote:

> R S wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 2:08 PM R S <rene.shuster at bcsemail.org
> > <mailto:rene.shuster at bcsemail.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi there,
> >     drivedb.h is missing reference to the SSD 750 series. The SMART
> >     attributes are documented @
> >
> https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf#%5B%7B%22num%22%3A47%2C%22gen%22%3A0%7D%2C%7B%22name%22%3A%22XYZ%22%7D%2C69%2C535%2C0%5D
> >
> >     Let me know if there is anything else you need in order to add the
> >     drive.
> >     Thanks.
> >
> > Attached is output of smartctl -q noserial -x /dev/nvme0n1
>
> Sorry, no. Please see:
>
> https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/FAQ#MyNVMedriveisnotinthesmartctlsmartddatabase
>
> Thanks for the reply. The FAQ says "SCSI/SAS and NVMe drives do not
provide ATA/SATA-like SMART Attributes."
Excuse my ignorance, but I do see certain SMART attributes being read by
smartmontools:

> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
>
> SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
> Critical Warning:                   0x00
> Temperature:                        35 Celsius
> Available Spare:                    100%
> Available Spare Threshold:          10%
> Percentage Used:                    9%
> Data Units Read:                    20,866,642 [10.6 TB]
> Data Units Written:                 148,484,411 [76.0 TB]
> Host Read Commands:                 279,528,135
> Host Write Commands:                1,330,572,206
> Controller Busy Time:               59
> Power Cycles:                       441
> Power On Hours:                     36,718
> Unsafe Shutdowns:                   41
> Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
> Error Information Log Entries:      0
>
> When comparing this with the output of 'nvme smart-log /dev/nvme0n1' I
basically see the same attributes and values as what smartmontools already
provides. I must not have the full picture. Can someone enlighten me if
time allows. I'm just curious about the background. If this topic has
already been covered elsewhere please let me know. Thanks so much for your
time.