[Smartmontools-database] Success reports for USB/Firewire enclosures

Mike Hardy mike at mikehardy.net
Thu Jun 7 18:32:15 CEST 2018

Hello smartmontools people -

Forgive me if this USB enclosure is already listed as supported, I looked on the wiki[1] and didn’t see it.

I tried to edit the Wiki but the Trac installation doesn’t seem to be generating verification emails for new users correctly (yes I checked spam…) so I’m left with a report to this mailing list as the only option.

Also, I’ve been using smartctl / smartd … forever. Thanks to everyone that makes it work

-------

Here’s the success report for the USB/Firewire enclosure while connected via Thunderbolt/Firewire:

On-The-GO FW800/USB3:

  Manufacturer:	Other World Computing
  Model:	0x0
  GUID:	0x1D202E0E319AD
  Maximum Speed:	Up to 800 Mb/sec
  Connection Speed:	Up to 800 Mb/sec
  Sub-units:
On-The-GO FW800/USB3 Unit:
  Unit Software Version:	0x10483
  Unit Spec ID:	0x609E
  Firmware Revision:	0x301
  Product Revision Level:	0

—————

When connected via USB it looks like this:

OWC Mercury On-The-Go SATA FW800+USB3:

  Product ID:	0x020a
  Vendor ID:	0x1e91
  Version:	1.00
  Speed:	Up to 5 Gb/sec
  Manufacturer:	Other World Computing

Everything seems to work beautifully (even under OSX 10.13+ using a 3rd party SAT-SMART driver[2])

Hope this info helps. If you need more info, I’m not on the list so please include me directly.

Thanks -
-Mike

[1] https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Supported_USB-Devices
[2] https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx/usb-drive-support#SAT-SMART-Driver-v0.10-Yosemite