[qutebrowser] Run userscript in prompt mode

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Feb 10 18:02:41 CET 2020

Hey Patrick and Valentin,

On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 10:55:07AM +0100, Patrick wrote:
> I'm currently trying to implement a basic password manager
> userscript. I got it working like a charm for normal and
> input mode, but failed with prompt mode.
>
> When executing the userscript with a keybinding it seems to
> only run, after the prompt window closes. I also tried running
> the background script with `-d`, but without success.
>
> Is there currently any limitation on running userscripts in
> prompt mode? Can I even insert text from a userscript in
> prompt mode? I did read the official documentation on userscripts
> but didn't see anything mentioned there (I might have missed it).

I'm not actually sure. It depends on a lot of things - some prompts have a
blocking API, and qutebrowser/QtWebEngine ignore a lot of actions while such a
prompt is open.

Certainly not via :insert-text, as that inserts text into the website. In
theory, ":prompt-accept username:password" or ":fake-key -g text" would work,
but in practice it indeed looks like this is only executed after the prompt is
closed. I don't think there's anything qutebrowser can do about that, I'm
afraid.

On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 11:00:35AM +0100, Valentin Iovene wrote:
> I'd be interested in using your userscript. If you can share it with
> the community that would be great :-)

FWIW there are various password userscripts here:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/tree/master/misc/userscripts

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org