[qutebrowser] Enabling scripts per domain

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Feb 10 17:51:07 CET 2020

Hey Gerard and Isaac,

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 1:05 AM Gerard Lally <gerard.lally at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a very nice browser. Very impressed so far. A small monthly
> donation on its way if you can solve the following problem.
>
> I have JavaScript disabled by default, and I enable it per domain with
> tSH -- this adds a permanent exception to allow JS for the parent
> domain.

Note that tSH (and the related bindings) allows JS for the current page, no
matter where that JS is coming from.

> What I'd like to know is, is there a way of monitoring JS from other
> domains that the page does not load? For example, I would like to
> allow JS for a page at the domain independent.ie, and also for some
> (but not all) other domains that the browser might want to load with
> this page -- twitter.com to allow images included in the story, for
> example.
>
> With uMatrix on Vivaldi I can see the list of domains a web page tries
> to load, and I can allow the few I want, in addition to the 1st-party
> domain and subdomains.
>
> Is there a way of watching these domains on qutebrowser and adding
> them to the exception list?

This isn't possible right now I'm afraid - here's an issue about it:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/28

Note that there's an unofficial project (jmatrix) which does that, though:
https://gitlab.com/jgkamat/jmatrix

However, it's not supported in any way, and might make qutebrowser unstable.
If things break, you get to keep both pieces ;-)

On Sat, Feb 08, 2020 at 07:13:16PM -0500, Isaac Pei wrote:
> perhaps one way to do this is to have customized open command (mapped to
> some specific key):
>         When opening a url, checking against the  list in configuration
> file:
>                If the list is in 'blocked javascript' list, then open the
> tab with the javascript disabled.
>
> I don't know the internal of qutebrowser well, but guess this might be a
> simple approach that can be solved with python.
> For 'real-time' turning off/on javascript or other features, it is probably
> more involved. But guess this simpler hack will meet most / 95% of the
> scenario?

Like Gerard mentioned in the original mail, toggling JavaScript for a given
webpage is something qutebrowser can do since around two years. The question
was about managing (and selectively enabled) JavaScript coming from third-party
hosts rather than the page itself.

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org