[qutebrowser] Any probability of moving away from Chromium?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Jul 15 12:30:23 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 06:38:18PM +1000, Paul W. Rankin wrote:
> Having looked at the Qt situation I think I already know the answer to this
> one, but is there any possibility of ever moving away from using
> Chromium/QtWebEngine?

You already can (and always could) run qutebrowser with QtWebKit instead.

It's not maintained as well as QtWebEngine though (which is why I wouldn't
recommend it, especially from a security point of view), but it's recently
gaining some traction again.

> Chromium burns through energy like a bitcoin farm, it runs at turtle speed,
> and there's the whole tragicomedy of Google removing the webRequest API to
> block blockers..... But it seems like the only option?

FWIW the webRequest thing likely won't affect qutebrowser at all.

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)