[qutebrowser] Problem with Udemy videos

Jay Kamat jaygkamat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 18:51:23 CET 2019

Nathaniel Harari writes:

> Unfortunately, qutebrowser doesn't play the videos at all. I'm wondering if
> there is some sort of plugin which I require? Is it a bug? I currently use
> Firefox to view the videos, but qute is so much more lightweight and as I'm
> using Spacemacs (with evil mode), it just makes more sense to use
> qutebrowser.

qutebrowser requires proprietary codecs for h264 playback. If you search the
install docs for 'proprietary codecs', you should be able to find information
about your platform's case.

https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/install.asciidoc

That said, most people play videos in mpv, for example (:spawn mpv {url}), as
it provides a unified, better performing interface you can change keybinds
for.