[qutebrowser] IDN spoofing

John Lane john at lane.uk.net
Thu Apr 20 11:27:52 CEST 2017

On 20/04/17 05:24, Florian Bruhin wrote:

> I opened an issue here with some first thoughts:
> https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/2547

At a very simplistic level, what would work for me would be an option
that I can enable that causes IDN to be highlighted somehow (perhaps
inverse video in the status bar, perhaps alternating the two
representations?).

Personally, I can read the Roman alphabet, accented or not, whether it
be English, German or whatever (I may not understand the language I am
reading though, but I can interpret the characters I see). I can't read
chinese, cryllic, arabic or any other non-latin script. So, for me, an
option to highlight non-latin IDN URLs would be a start because I would
have no interest in following such links.

I realise that won't be a solution for many people but I guess it would
cover the majority of the people who would be the target of such a
spoofing scheme (i.e. those who primarily use the latin alphabet / ascii
character set).

I don't know how this stuff works so I'll butt out now, glad to see it's
being tracked as an issue on Github.

John