[qutebrowser] Discriminant javascript and cookies in qutebrowser

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Apr 3 22:10:18 CEST 2017

Hey Keith,

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 02:56:40PM -0500, Keith Larsen via qutebrowser wrote:
> My browser of choice has recently been deprecated (RIP xombrero).
> Anyway, this put me on a search that ended with qutebrowser! Initial
> test driving was great and I'm very impressed with all the different
> platforms you do builds for.

Yay! :)

> However, one of the killer features of xombrero was that javascript and
> cookies (respectively) could be disabled and then whitelisted or
> toggled for the session on a per domain/FQDN basis.
>
> I'm fairly sure that this sort of thing is not currently configurable
> with qutebrowser. The purpose of the email is to ask if this sort of
> functionality is seen as feasible or even useful to the qutebrowser
> project.

It's definitely something which was planned for a long time:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/27

I'm planning to finally make it happen - together with some bigger
changes on how configuration works (see [1]) - in my summer holidays,
and will launch qutebrowser's second crowdfunding for that soon (so I
can work full-time on the whole config stuff and more for a month).

[1] https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/issues/499

Once it's up, I'll of course announce it on this list (you're not
subscribed yet, by the way) as well as the qutebrowser-announce list.

> Perhaps a script to set the option and open a bookmark... just looking
> for you thoughts on the matter.

You can already do that (with a simple keybinding using ;; as command
separator), but it'll disable/enable javascript for all open pages.

Florian