[qutebrowser] How to run a userscript in Windows

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Sep 14 07:08:36 CEST 2016

* David Nebauer <davidnebauer3 at bigpond.com> [2016-09-14 00:15:36 +0930]:

> > > I'm guessing the hello.bat is in that location?
> >
> > Well, no, as it turns out. The bat file was in:
> >
> >     C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\qutebrowser\userscripts\hello.bat
>
> Might be worth mentioning that I used the wrong userscript directory because
> I misunderstood the documentation. It says userscripts need to be, "stored
> in your data directory under 'userscripts'". On the Windows platform I took
> "data directory" to be a reference to qutebrowser's install location under
> "AppData/Local" and formed the rest of the path based on the unix userscript
> path (which does not include the 'data' subdirectory).

That's because the XDG standard (which is at least commonly used on
Linux) has separate paths for config (~/.config) and data
(~/.local/share), while Windows doesn't - so on Windows, we simply
have separate data/ and cache/ subdirs in there.

> I suggest the documentation could explicitly state the Windows userscript
> path. Even better would be if 'qute:version' output included the full
> userscripts directory ||path, in the same way that it currently includes the
> "Desktop" path in unix and "Imported from" path in Windows. That way the
> information would be available on every platform qutebrowser runs on.

Just a small clarifiction: That's not the desktop path, that's what
desktop environment the user is using (i.e., the DESKTOP_SESSION
environment variable).

I agree it'd make sense to display at least the
config/data/runtime/cache directories in qute:version though.

Florian