QtWebEngine crowdfunding launched!

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Mar 23 11:30:02 CET 2016

Hi!

A few weeks ago, I posted a request-for-comments about starting a crowdfunding
for QtWebEngine support in qutebrowser.

I got a lot of positive feedback, and I'm happy to announce the campaign just
went live!

You can find it here: http://igg.me/at/qutebrowser

In case you're one of the few persons who haven't heard me saying "your issue
will be solved by QtWebEngine" - here is a short explanation of what's going
on:

qutebrowser is currently using QtWebKit, which is based on an outdated version
of the WebKit rendering engine. This comes with various stability, performance
and security issues.

QtWebKit also got removed from Qt 5.6, which means qutebrowser could break when
a distribution stops shipping it, like it happened a few days ago with Homebrew
on OS X.

The goal of the campaign is to add support for QtWebEngine to qutebrowser.
QtWebEngine is based on Chromium and in very active development - support for
it will fix dozens of qutebrowser bugs related to QtWebKit.

Since this is a lot of work, I plan to work on it full-time for a month, or
even longer if possible. I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Florian