Can't get adblock to work proper

dings dings at umshini-wami.org
Fri Dec 19 09:40:13 CET 2014

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 08:08:17 +0100
Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org> wrote:

> * shaggytwodope at teknik.io <shaggytwodope at teknik.io> [2014-12-18
> 17:25:54 -0800]:
> > On 2014-12-18 15:55, dings at umshini-wami.org wrote:
> > >It seems to be a problem for me to get adblocking to work proper.
> > >I added a few more urls to the list in the
> > >~/.config/qutebrowser/qutebrowser.conf but I can't get rid of some
> > >ads. I tried to add some sites to a file called hosts in my
> > >~/.config/qutebrowser but that also didn't work. How do you guys
> > >block ads? My host-block-lists array in the qutebrowser.conf looks
> > >like this:
> > >

> > >host-block-lists =
> > >http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt,http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts,http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip,http://malwaredomains.lehigh.edu/files/justdomains.zip,http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&mimetype=plaintext,http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.asp,https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy-social.txt,https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt,https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy.txt,https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylistgermany.txt,http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlist.php?showintro=0;hostformat=hosts,/home/dings/.config/qutebrowser/hosts
> > >
> > >cheers
> >
> > What format is your hosts file in, it needs to be as such:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1  funkydomain.com
>
> Either that, or just a list of domains without any IP - both should
> work (optionally zipped).
>
> Adblock lists *won't* work (yet) as they're more complicated than
> that. Issue 29 has some more information:
>
> https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/29
>
> You'll need to use file:///home/dings/.config/qutebrowser/hosts for a
> local file to work.
>
> I just opened https://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser/issues/378
> to change that though :)
>
> Also, don't forget to run :adblock-update after setting the option.
>
> Out of curiosity: What are the pages you see ads on?
>
> Florian

I removed the adblock lists and did :adblock-update and also corrected
the path to my local file. After that it worked proper. So I also
removed the local file entry to figure out that it isn't needed.
So :adblock-update did the trick. Thanks for giving me that hint! I
still see ads on leo.org which. The pages I saw ads on were gmx.net and
eblogx.com. (The last one I visited naturally only for scientifical
purposes…)

cheers
Tim