Herbstluft and Wayland?

Thorsten Wißmann edu at thorsten-wissmann.de
Fri Sep 11 15:15:36 CEST 2020

Hi Mythmon,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 03:33:14PM -0700, Michael Cooper wrote:
> I used to use Herbstluftwm, ages ago. I spent some time using Gnome as an
> effort to put less time into maintenance of my environment. One thing that
> I got very used to was using Wayland and it's support for monitor scaling.
> Good support for fractional scaling and scaling that is different per
> monitor has become vital for me.

Many people report this. It's a bit sad because actually one could even
have different scaling per monitor in X if the toolkits provided a way
to change the scale factor of their applications at run-time. (Some
people claim this isn't possible due to the architecture of X but IMO
this is wrong.)

> I know that hlwm is only for X, and that a port would be no small feat.
> Currently I'm using Sway, which tries very hard to be like i3. I have
> never  been able to figure out it's tiling model though, and I'd really
> like to find something that works like hlwm but keeps the benefits of
> Wayland.
>
> Does anyone know a way to get a hlwm experience on Wayland?

To the best of my knowledge, sway is the wayland compositor that is
closest to hlwm.

Regarding porting hlwm to wayland, I'm already trying to encapsulate
X-specific code to separate code modules as far as possible in order to
keep the main hlwm codebase as generic as possible and ready for a
Wayland backend. However, I can't tell whether a Wayland (or wlroots)
backend will ever happen, since there is still a lot of X-specific code
to be encapsulated.

I'm not aware of any hlwm port to Wayland, and I'd refrain from porting
it (rather than having to backends of one hlwm codebase), because it
would cause twice the work maintaining those projects.

Best,
Thorsten