Feature request - rotate grid

Steven Hum sdothum at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:28:51 CET 2015

Hello,

I have just started using herbstluftwm, coming from ion3/notion ->
xmonad -> bspwm, and I must say, I am quite liking the degree of control
over the workspace with monitors and frames.

One feature I find convenient (coming from bspwm) is the ability to
rotate a grid (with value +/- 1 for bi-directional control, of course!)
much like the rotate (frame) action. I haven't worked with your object
tree enough to know whether this would be simple enough to script -- but
I am hoping your rotate frame facility might make this easy enough to
implement!

Lastly, one lazy feature would be the ability to "toggle" max for
a layout (in a frame), returning to the pre-max layout on the next
toggle. I know one can simply set the layout to max but then one needs
to cycle back to the original layout. I haven't scripted this because
there does not appear to be a way to query the current layout in focus.
Perhaps you could add a "frame" object to your object tree.

All in all, appreciate the work you have done on this wm. There are many
commands that I have not begun to explore the utility of. But I love the
facility you have provided to control herbstluftwm via scripting (much
like bspwm)!

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Steven