WM_NAME vs. _NET_WM_NAME

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 12:25:25 CET 2014

It's a netwm spec bug:

_NET_WM_NAME

_NET_WM_NAME, UTF8_STRING

The Client SHOULD set this to the title of the window in UTF-8 encoding. If
set, the Window Manager should use this in preference to WM_NAME.

------

"should"...

So any netwm compliant WM "should" prefer _NET_WM_NAME. Qt read that as "we
won't support pre-netwm stuff anymore, so we can dittch it", but that's
"wrong" - a perfectly netwm compliant wm can entirely ignore _NET_WM_NAME m(

hlwm *should* please prefer _NET_WM_NAME, but Qt has to set WM_NAME if
interested in a caption - at least they can not point the spec as reason
(they can however deny support for WMs deviating from the specs
"suggestions")

Sorry for gmail webclient,

Thomas