Patch: keymasks

Christian Dietrich stettberger at dokucode.de
Sun Feb 9 17:37:51 CET 2014

Hi,

since I'm a heavy emacs user (sounds like taking drugs...) I want as
many keybindings as possible. But herbstluftwm is stealing so many of
them for managing my windows, which is kind of useless, since my emacs
is always fullscreen on a single tag.

Therefore there is no reason why herbstluftwm should bind most of the
keys, when Emacs is focused. I wrote a patch, that does exactly that.
Each client has a keymask (which is matched against the keybindings as a
regular expression): All matching keybindings are enabled, all others
are disabled. Keymasks can be applied by client rules, so

    hc rule class~'Emacs' keymask="Mod4.[1-5qweras]"

applies the keymask, that only enables monitor and tag switching
bindings when Emacs is focused. When refocusing only the wrongly
disabled or enabled keybindings are regrabbed. So it should be kind of
fast. When not using keybindings no performance impact should be measurable.

chris