[hlwm] split feature-request

Thorsten Wißmann re06huxa at cip.cs.fau.de
Thu Dec 12 23:09:32 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 06:47:37PM +0100, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> * Thorsten Wißmann <edu at thorsten-wissmann.de> [2013-12-12 18:03:20 +0100]:
> > It seems quite often, that immediately after splitting, the fresh frame
> > is focused by the user. So it might be an option to focus the fresh
> > frame automatically after the split. Opinions?
>
> As already said in IRC: As an option, +1, and I think it should also
> default to true.

I mean we can just change the default keybinding in the autostart. And
by now I got positive feedback only, so we even could change the default
and provide backwards-compatible modes: down_stay_focus and
right_stay_focus.

The only application of the old focus model is when splitting a frame
and moving a client from the current frame to it. But this could be
solved by some command(or split mode) »create the binary tree from the
current frame appearance«.

> > And maybe top/bottom should be renamed to up/down...
>
> Random thought that comes to mind: What about more fuzzy parsers in
> general?
>
> Like, for each of these actions it would parse these words:
>
> left:  left
> right: right, vertical
> up:    top, up
> down:  bottom, down, horizontal

That's the current implementation.

> true:  true, yes, on, 1
> false: false, no, off, 0

Except for 1 and 0, it's already reality!

https://git.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/?p=hlwm;a=blob;f=src/utils.c#l205

But fuzzy parsing in general isn't that nice. It surely will cause
trouble later because we have to (or should) keep the 'fuzzy parsing'
backwards compatible.

Regards,
Thorsten