[fyeg_gen-l] European Day Of Languages

norma tiedemann normat at gmx.de
Wed Sep 26 09:37:39 CEST 2012

*Today is the European Day of Languages!

*Check out the statement and the little "*multilingual
getting-to-know-each-other-gui****de*"
the working group on Migration, Culture and Identity created with your help!
Still you can send us more pictures to include!

http://migrationcultureidentity.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/statement-september-26th-european-day-of-languages/

    Statement: September, 26th -- European Day of languages

Walking down the streets of some European capital, switching on
television or radio, getting in the train, traveling around, crossing a
school yard or the cafeteria of your university or working place: it's
more than likely that you will hear more than one language being spoken.
Europe is a continent of linguistic diversity: there are over 200
European languages and many more spoken by citizens whose family origin
is from other continents. In a globally interconnected world like
today's, we are very much dependent on our ability to speak, read and
understand different languages in order to make communication across
"cultures" and boundaries possible. The Council of Europe therefore
declared a European Day of Languages to be celebrated on 26th of
September each year. Language skills are a necessity and a right for
everyone. Already some sentences in a foreign language can open up doors
of understanding and interaction. To remind ourselves of this basic step
towards intercultural communication and participation and to celebrate
the diversity and beauty of languages, we created a little multilingual
"flirting/ getting in contact -- guide" for you. Take it with a wink,
promote the guide and give it a try the next time you're in your
favourite café, on holidays or in the streets :)