[fyeg_gen-l] Call for prep-team: COP 18 Workshop on Climate Change - How can Europe move forward?

Jakob C. Schwarz jakob at fyeg.org
Sun Sep 9 17:33:41 CEST 2012

Dear Activists and Friends,

Reminder:
FYEG is looking for members of the Preparatory team for its COP18 Workshop in Brussels that will take place from the 3rd to the 7th of December 2012.

The COP Workshop will be our main climate and energy related event this year.
Like every year, we will be again following the UNFCCC Climate Negotiations, but additionally explore alternatives to it and possibilities for Europe to move forward independent of the outcomes of the negotiations.

Urgent action is needed, the first commitment period of the Kyoto Protocoll is running out this year and the necessary amendments to the Protocol for the second still need to be signed and ratified by the subscriber states. Negotiations within the newly created UNFCCC Working Group "Durban Platform" are proceeding too  slowly and still it seems there is no alternative to the UNFCCC process. Or is there? What can be done in Europe and elsewhere to prevent dangerous climate change even if the UNFCCC negotiations fail? Does unilateral action harm the economy? Are Agrofuels a solution? Can live-style change make a difference?

If you are interested, please check out the call on our website and submit your application in our event-management-platform yeapsy till September 14th.

Best regards,

Jakob Schwarz

Co-Spokesperson
Federation of Young European Greens