[fyeg_gen-l] Press Release on the outcomes of the EU Council

Terry Reintke terrytasse at aol.com
Tue Jan 31 11:33:47 CET 2012

Dear everyone,

this is our press release regarding the newest proposals coming from the
state leaders of the EU. We strongly criticise the fiscal compact that
imposes budget cuts to Member States if they want to get money from the ESM.

You can find it here:

http://www.fyeg.org/main/index.php/news/press-releases/297-wake-up-our-future-is-at-stake

We are happy about your remarks!

Kisses,

Terry

"Wake up! Our future is at stake!

In the aftermath ofthe meeting of the government and state leaders of
the European Union yesterday, FYEG is deeply disappointed by the
outcomes of the Council meeting. The proposals made by the summit will -
even if put in place - not have any positive impact on the economic
situation of Europe. On the contrary, they will lead Europe further down
the path ofrecession and growing social inequalities.

Forcing EU states to exercise austerity and cuts in public
expenciturewithout a sustainable harmonisation of fiscal policies
including a raise in income and wealth taxes and a reform of the banking
system, is the worst kind of action Europe can take in times of crisis.
Balancing governmental budgets only through austerity measures and
spending cuts, without raising incomes through more taxation will
further increase inequality within our societies.

What we need is more integration on fiscal and economic policies and to
regain power of the political sphere over the banking sector which
includes more regulation. Financial regulations must be extended to
regain the control over the markets, to reduce risks from future crises,
and to show that those responsible for the financial crises are held
liable/. /FYEG also opposes the vision of economic governance that
solely relies on top-down measures which force procylcic austerity
policies and bypass all democratic processes.

Terry Reintke, co-spokesperson of FYEG, said: "The state leaders are
openly neglecting the simplest rules of their own economic regime. This
kind of politics will lead us even further into crisis and recession.
Not to speak of the social inequalities this will produce, it will
destabilise the economic sphere in Europe in the long term."

Nic Schaefers, co-spokesperson of FYEG, added: "This agreement - even if
put in place - will probably not be legally binding as it is not a
proper treaty change. What we need are thorough changes in order to
harmonise the European economic politics that is agreed with the
democratic participation of the European and national parliaments."

We demand that the European Commission and the European Parliament take
a more active role and propose how to do necessary reforms within the EU
framework including the introduction of Financial Transaction Tax and
the Common Corporate Tax Base as well as Eurobonds and a real economic
coordination in a fiscal and economic union.

--
Terry Reintke
FYEG Co-Spokesperson

Federation of Young European Greens