[fyeg_gen-l] PR: FYEG call for international solidarity with the people of Japan and demand once again the shutdown of nuclear plants

Mária Dokupilová maggie at fyeg.org
Sun Mar 13 19:12:19 CET 2011

FYEG call for international solidarity with the people of Japan and demand
once again the shutdown of nuclear plants

Japan is suffering through the worst nuclear catastrophe since Chernobyl.
Losses of life and material damage cannot yet be quantified. The authorities
say that an explosion in the Fukushima power plant is chemical, not
radioactive, however, people from surrounding areas have to be evacuated to
emergency shelters. Today the country suffers not only from an enormous
natural disaster, but also from wrong government decisions to build a
nuclear power plant, especially in such a well-known geologically unstable
area.

"We have said it before, and we will most likely have to say it over and
over again, but there is no safe nuclear power", states Sebastian Power,
co-spokesperson of the Federation of Young European Greens. “We call on all
governments to stop building new nuclear power plants and to stop the
expansions of their nuclear programmes! The world has to unite in a
sensible, sustainable and renewable energy revolution!"

For FYEG the nuclear question is not one for lobbyists, power companies and
governments alone. It is one where each and every one of us is at risk, and
we must act directly, as citizens and humans. FYEG renews its call to vote
out, boycott, blockade, and ultimately dismantle the whole nuclear industry.

FYEG hereby expresses full solidarity with the people of Japan and calls on
world leaders to support the hit areas with humanitarian assistance.

The FYEG spokespersons can be reached on delfina at fyeg.org and
sebastian at fyeg.org

--
***Federation of Young European Greens*