[fyeg_gen-l] 9 days left, 9 reasons to celebrate

Battal Erdogan battal.erdogan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 16:09:11 CEST 2009

Dear young greens,

under you can fınd a call for actıon from 350.org: It looks lıke there are
goıng to be many and massıve actıons all around the word on the 24th of
October. There are ) days left to joın one or multıple of these actıons.
Please do so to gıve our governments and so-called leaders the sıgnal that
we need a real clımate deal on the COP15.

best wıshes,
Battal

              _

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CRa92yXva%2FVXLEfEITLb%2BRYST9Gyf89M>

With bad news all around us, take a minute to share the good news: 9 days
left til Oct 24th, and 9 reasons to celebrate.

Take 15 seconds to spread the word with two clicks on *Twitter
*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=C7bh8kb7ehIXiFXhSmaNUhYST9Gyf89M>and
Facebook<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=HGhnnEyuy7MRIyPF2RVZRb6pAl%2BNwxHC>and
everywhere else-just share this link (
*www.350.org/9*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ArQ4aPuhvXA6mJFfH04sZRYST9Gyf89M>
)

Dear Friends,

The big day of climate action is right around the corner, so with 9 days
left I decided to write up the top 9 reasons why I'm unbelievably excited.
------------------------------

*1 - October 24th will be the most widespread day of climate action ever
*
As I write this, our action counter just ticked past Action #3000-scratch
that, 3003! There are events taking place in 158 countries around the
world.  This. Will. Be. HUGE.

Visit www.350.org/map<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hp1CYjl3Tf%2BJLLSBgXmoUhYST9Gyf89M>to
find and RSVP for an action near you. If there isn't one being planned
yet, worry not, you can still start one! -
www.350.org/Oct24<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=O1%2B%2BFkqeq1KGxvhmf8BNMr6pAl%2BNwxHC>

*2 - The world will hear our call *

In case you missed the news, 350.org staff just got permission to display
your 350 action photos & videos from around the world on the MASSIVE screens
in Times Square, in the HEART of New York City. We can't wait to broadcast
your 350 action media in such a way that's both worthy of this amazing
moment and is sure to reach world leaders:
www.350.org/bigscreen
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=PoJgKBFQv1%2BRXueyz5BGVBYST9Gyf89M>

On the Monday after October 24th, the 350.org crew will be visiting UN
headquarters in NYC to hand-deliver the photos to diplomats and delegates
from around the world to make sure they know how much you want a global
climate deal that meets the science.

*3 - Partners are pulling out all the stops*

Al Gore invited his millions of email subscribers & 1.75 million Twitter
followers to join or start actions around the world @ 350.org. Read more
about this exciting announcement here:
www.350.org/gore<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ozJBv59X7tRWMDVEUdYUVxYST9Gyf89M>

Other partners-from environmental groups like Greenpeace and 1Sky, to online
powerhouses like Avaaz, to brand new coalitions like TckTckTck-are all
coming forward in an unprecedented alliance to create a global climate
movement. This movement is only possible because of a network of friends and
allies around the world, including major international NGOs and local,
grassroots organizations. Please visit our partners page to learn more:
www.350.org/friends<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=HPNhti4SOFrv%2BOSj2eXw1RYST9Gyf89M>

*4 - It's not too late to join the action*

The European team whipped up a "Quick & Easy" Action guide to help new
organizers pull off a great 350 action just in time--check out all the great
actions you can organize, even if you have only a week left before the big
day: www.350.org/quick<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hUdC%2Bu3LZHqBqr8zgRu8xBYST9Gyf89M>

*5 - The timing is right*

Today (October 15th, depending on your time zone) is "Blog Action Day"--an
annual event when thousands of bloggers all over the world write about a
single topic.  This year's subject: climate change. Over 7,000 blogs have
signed up, reaching 10+ million readers! 350 is thrilled to be a featured
partner--today literally hundreds of blogs will feature 350. If you have a
blog and want to get involved just click here:
www.350.org/bloggers<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=HStm6%2Fcf1JusgJR%2FIMqMbBYST9Gyf89M>

And speaking of good timing, it turns out the International Day of Climate
Action just happens to take place on the internationally recognized "UN
Day", and the UN just happens to be a major target for the outpouring of
action the world will see on October 24th.  Perfect.

*6 - 350 has gone mobile*

Keep the movement in your pocket at
www.350.org/mobile<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=chJMawg8tmnK%2FHl4bLVcWhYST9Gyf89M>.
We have a brand new iPhone App, plus people in a dozen countries can use
their mobile phones to join the world's first grassroots global SMS text
messaging campaign.

*7 - This movement has room for everyone*

October 24th won't be like anything you've ever seen before--not just in
terms of scope and scale, but in terms of diversity as well.  October 24th
events will be of every stripe and color--in addition to the thousands of
amazing rallies, educational events, and protests, there will be unique
contributions from unlikely places and people:

- The president of the Maldives, a near-extinct island-nation, will be
holding a cabinet meeting underwater, complete with scuba gear and 350
banners.

- Afghan youth will be creating a giant chalk image of 350 on the side of a
mountain in the Hindu Kush.

- Palestinian, Jordanian and Israeli activists will put aside political
differences to push for a fair, ambitious and binding climate treaty.  On
the beaches of their respective shores of the Dead Sea, they will make a big
3, 5, and 0.

And that's just just a few...out of 3003.

*8 - The media is getting very interested...*

350 is gaining momentum in the mainstream media - what politicians use as
the barometer of public opinion. The Washington Post, New York Times, BBC,
CNN, are but a few sources covering the 350 movement this past week. And
this is just a taste of the global & local media headlines we're going to
make together on the 24th--and beyond!

*9 - We've got the most powerful tool on the planet--the internet*

Just a few years ago it would have been laughable to try to pull off a
global campaign, in 10+ languages, with events in 150+ countries.  Now, a
web-powered campaign can harness video (like these
animations<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UdMWEqTVUFuZL%2BuVDDB4qBYST9Gyf89M>),
social networks (like our pages on
Twitter<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GWpPmInhYe3lD62nnCs9fBYST9Gyf89M>and
Facebook<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9WRDxpPxsVjf51IPg9RhsBYST9Gyf89M>),
e-mail (like this
one<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=xMZeAkydwjfGKuyuU6Ih5BYST9Gyf89M>),
online maps<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qeyj1ua5PdPd0pSWwNjEpRYST9Gyf89M>,
and more.  And now you can help build this buzz online--take 15 seconds to
emblazon your Twitter
avatar<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=JZamTaLysQSpU3U1BpFOUxYST9Gyf89M>or
Facebook
profile<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=SCVtzRqLHpVhM6l9g6gS2r6pAl%2BNwxHC>picture
with a 350 badge.
------------------------------

That's all for now--we'll be in touch next week for the final push.  So much
is happening in this final stretch that's it's hard for any one of us to
keep track.

Can you believe there are only 9 days until Oct. 24th?

Onwards,

Jamie Henn for the entire 350.org team around the world

P.S. With bad news all around us, good news is worth sharing.  Can you pass
this list with just two clicks to everyone you know on
Facebook<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uIg1cyE4R8x22NR4G%2FrNBL6pAl%2BNwxHC>and
Twitter?<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=D2JPx36cEFt9e7BFI%2FEwIRYST9Gyf89M>
Many thanks in advance.

P.P.S. And the photos keep rolling in as people do test runs for their
actions--here are two that came in in the last two days, from the Pyramids
and from the Dominican Republic--enjoy:

  *You should join us* on Facebook by becoming a fan of our page at *
facebook.com/350org*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jr5X2H0e8cDPKY95cjh3VRYST9Gyf89M>and
follow us on twitter by visiting
twitter.com/350<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=SqrDltNBaiLVItluwUeyMxYST9Gyf89M>

*To join our list* (maybe a friend forwarded you this e-mail) visit *
www.350.org/signup*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IGdSBniXWPfNi2UoiD%2B60RYST9Gyf89M>

350.org needs your help! To support our work, donate securely online at
350.org/donate<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=p1e7hxIT6H9eplrGA8RM4hYST9Gyf89M>

*You are subscribed *to this list as battal.erdogan at gmail.com. Click here to

350.org<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=PJPr3D%2B40V4Z8f0P0Xl%2Bib6pAl%2BNwxHC>is
an international grassroots campaign that aims to mobilize a global
climate movement united by a common call to action. By spreading an
understanding of the science and a shared vision for a fair policy, we will
ensure that the world creates bold and equitable solutions to the climate
crisis. 350.org is an independent and not-for-profit project.

What is 350? 350 is the number that leading scientists say is the safe upper
limit for carbon dioxide in our atmosphere. Scientists measure carbon
dioxide in "parts per million" (ppm), so 350ppm is the number humanity needs
to get below as soon as possible to avoid runaway climate change. To get
there, we need a different kind of PPM-a "people powered movement" that is
made of of people like you in every corner of the planet.