[fyeg_gen-l] elections in Poland- commentary

LECH Bartosz bartosz.lech at europarl.europa.eu
Fri Oct 19 16:02:35 CEST 2007

for those that interested, find below my commentary before the elections
in Poland.

B.
www.bartosz-lech.bloog.pl

Elections in Poland: What will change this Sunday?

autor: bartosz-lech, 2007-10-19 15:58:59

On Sunday Poland will hold the most important elections since 1989.
According to the latest polls the Christian-democrats from Civic
Platform (Platforma Obywatelska) will win on Sunday's general elections.
The Kaczynski brothers' party- Law and Justice (Prawo i Sprawiedliwosc)
is just 3-5 % behind them, and even if the Kaczynskis were leading in
the elections, they would not be able to construct a government because
they will not have any partners for that in the next legislative (League
of Polish Families and Selfdefence most probably will not enter the
parliament).

So one is sure- Polish people told the Kaczynski government: No thanks!

Whether that is a step forward- I am not sure. Yes, I do see the
difference between Kaczynski and Civic Platform, but maybe I am too left
to be happy with an election that will be won by the
Christian-democrats.

It was the Civic Platform that created the slogan: Nice or Death, to
defend the absolutely illogical institutional compromise that heads of
states negotiated in Nice. It was the Civic Platform that introduced
religion classes in public schools and is a political party with leaders
that are not able to pronounce the word 'abortion'.

At the same time people do not recognize Left and Democrats as a real
alternative, and to be honest, they have good reasons for that.

As always, I will use Kinga Dunin comparison of the two leading parties.
The difference between the Kaczynski brothers and Civic Platform is like
the difference between potatoes and french fries- the first ones are
simple and obviously dirty, the second ones are well shaped, so Western
and speak English, but in fact inside they are both the same starch.

So besides potatoes I want to see on the political scene in Poland also
apples, tomatoes- other colours! These elections will change Poland for
sure and it is time to breed new vegetables and fruits that will be a
reasonable alternative for the potato-potato debate.

Bartek