[fyeg_gen-l] IRLAND: 1,000 Young Greens recruited in a month

LECH Bartosz bartosz.lech at europarl.europa.eu
Wed Oct 10 15:11:33 CEST 2007

Bravo bravo bravo!!!!

1,000 Young Greens recruited in a month

-Greens recruits more members than Sinn Fein and DUP in Queen's, Belfast

Green Party Leader Minister John Gormley has welcomed the hugely successful Young Greens nationwide recruitment campaign that saw 1,000 new members join in a month. The newest society, set up in Queen's University Belfast, attracted more members than Sinn Fein, the DUP and Fianna Fáil, according to figures available.

Minister Gormley said: "This is a fantastic outcome for the Young Greens and I think it reflects the level of interest in the Green Party and its policies. I welcome the new members and hope the increase will boost the Party's activities across Irish campuses and the cities and towns they represent. I particularly welcome the new societies at University Limerick and in Queen's University in Belfast. For the first time the Party is represented at youth level, on an all-island basis."

National Expansions Officer Louise Archibold said: "We are particularly pleased with the new branches in Belfast and Limerick . The fact that we recruited more members than other longer established parties in Queen's in Belfast is remarkable and shows that there is a great appetite for new political thinking in the North. I am also very pleased with our strong performance in the University of Limerick where we now have the makings of a very strong branch."

Cllr Niall O Brolchain, Green Party Youth Officer said: "It has been a great pleasure working with the Young Greens across the country and the growing numbers ensure the Green Party will play a massive role in the future of Irish politics. This year's record recruitment drive has surpassed all expectations - we saw people flocking to the stands to talk about the political environment and I feel it bodes very well for the future."

[ENDS]

Note to Editor:

*	The recruitment drive took place in Universities and Institutes of Technology in Cork, Kerry, Waterford , Limerick, Dublin , Kildare, Galway, Belfast , Louth and Donegal throughout the month of September.
*	The new Young Greens Society at Queen's University Belfast recruited 134 new members and was the best performance of any political society there including DUP, SF and FF.
*	With 259 recruits, Trinity College Dublin is the largest Young Green branch and one of the largest youth branch of any political society in the country

Information

Ed Davitt, Chair Young Greens: 086 870 0435

Cllr Niall O Brolchain, Youth Officer: 087 952 4776

Louise Archibold, National Expansions Officer: 087 260 1145

Nicola Cassidy, Green Party Press Officer: 01 618 4088 / 087 914 8175