[fyeg_gen-l] Another book about greens or database with FYEG campaigns to be used?

Marina Barbalata marina at fyeg.org
Thu Oct 4 22:31:20 CEST 2007

Dear Arend and all,

Thank you for your suggestion. It is a very good idea - I like it a lot and find it extremely useful as well. I think creating this database is something FYEG should do in any case, whether it is turning 19, 20 or 21. Thus, I and the current EC will take the initiatives needed to start the process of putting together such a database. However, if we want a complete one, that we'll be able to use many years from now, the process won't be easy and will be rather time consuming.
  Therefore, i wouldn't put this responsibility on the GA prep-team, that will be overloaded with work anyway. The EC will discuss about the best ways this database should be arranged and we will send feedback on that soon. The preparatory work done by the publication team regarding the history of the organisation and the important actions which have been staged will no doubt form a basis for the website and database, thus the two projects may run in parallel rather than being mutually exclusive.

The part that I disagree with from your suggestion is to replace the book we are planning to make with the database. I disagree that you just throw books on shelves; you put them on shelves because you cherish them and you keep them there because they're valuable to you.
  The concept behind this book was to make something lovely and loveable that marks FYEG's Happy 20's and that celebrates all of FYEG's succcesses, its growth and its people. A book that, indeed, will not be available for thousands and thousands of people, but that would be a very valuable present for all the people that FYEG has a significance for. It would be a birthday present for FYEG and a nice one on top of all.

So, I suggest we go ahead as planned with the book and at the same time start working on the data base.

  Sunny wishes,
Marina

Arend Hamstra <arend at arendhamstra.nl> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Dear Charlotte and all other FYEG members,

  Good idea of creating something for the 20th birthday of the Young Greens. But instead of making a book, that will be given and then put in a room to be forgotten about I would like to propose another idea.

  FYEG is for me an organisation that is trying to give everyone information, samples and spreading different views to many people all over Europe and the world.

  What would be better then to create for the 20th birthday of FYEG a full database with lots of different campaign material, stories, leaflets and much more of FYEG and of all our partner, member and other organisations so that we can really use the internet like it is supposed to be. If we in the Netherlands would like to organise a campaign on nuclear power plants or on cycling routes in Amsterdam this should be found in FYEG´s database.

  I would rather see the money been spend on some of 500 books for important greenies that already know all about FYEG or green politics invested in a good database with a complete overview of what FYEG and members organisations have been doing the last 2 decennia!

  Maybe in that case the future generation of FYEG will make the world green!

  With kind regards,

  Arend Hamstra, former EC-member and working on green issues in Amsterdam and abroad

Arend Hamstra  Raadslid GroenLinks Amsterdam Oudzuid   skype    :arend.hamstra    mail       :arend at arendhamstra.nl