[fyeg_gen-l] Belgrade park devastation - Green Youth Malta react

Jan Van Eemeren jan.van.eemeren at telenet.be
Tue Jul 5 16:15:25 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Obviously I agree with the spirit of the message below.

Would like to point out two things though:

1)Certainly, city degradation is a relevant factor to (the manifestation
of) youth related problems. However, stating that "rising juvenile
crime" is a direct and sole result would be a mistake. There are more
severe causes (like unequal opportunities in education, employment, ...)
as well as more severe consequences (health related, ecological and
social injustice, ...) in my view.

2)Phrases like "rising juvenile crime" are used by reactionairy groups
who promote a repressive approach of the "problem". If we use their
vocabulary, we reinforce the image they want to create of youth. Often
youngsters "hanging about" on the street are perceived as a threat,
partly because of their obnoxious behaviour (being noisy, spraying
grafitti, using substances, ...) but mainly because of this stereotype
vocabulary.

These kids are not criminals and I think we should be very careful for
the use of stigmata in our communications as the more they get
established, the more they will be used as a pretext for increased
police spendings and infringing on human rights (curfue, imprisonment of
minors, "zero tolerance", ...).

This technique is commonly used by our adversaries (cfr. linking the
words "muslim" to "terrorist", "NorthAfrican" to "thieves",  euphemising
"anti-abortionists" as "pro-life" or bastardasing our concept of
"sustainability" to the capitalist "sustainable development", etc...) so
it is definetely up to us to make (the) media hear and thus report about
these issues in appropriate wording.

I hope this is relevant to anyone :-)

Jan
Belgium