[fyeg_gen-l] Fwd: chocolate slavery (again)

markus petz councillortothewise at yahoo.de
Mon Feb 28 18:05:54 CET 2005

Here in the UK I heard that the Fairtrade products
have increased by a huge amount particulalry in the
younger age group.

However that this story about child exploitation is
still happening reveals there is more work to go. I am
most surprised at Mars as they always seem to have
quite a good reputation for looking after those who
work for them.

They have 5 principles  - reminds me of teh 5 pillars
of Islam... In one you find "ethical practices and
high standards of corporate responsibility;"

I mailed them to ask.

Markus

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-

> harkin14feb14,1,4862621.story?ctrack=2&cset=true
>
> Taking Child Slavery Out of Valentine's Day
>   On Valentine's Day, there will be no chocolate
> gifts for young Aly
> Diabate. "I don't know what chocolate is," said Aly,
> who was forced
> into slavery at age 11 to harvest cocoa beans in
> Ivory Coast. Aly's
> ignorance of chocolate is forgivable. Like tens of
> thousands of other
> child slaves on cocoa farms in Ivory Coast, he
> subsists on a diet of
> corn paste and bananas.
>
>   Less forgivable is the fact that chocolate lovers
> in the West have
> been kept in the dark about these harsh realities.
> Few realize that
> most of the cocoa beans that go into Nestle, Mars
> and Hershey candy
> bars come from Ivory Coast, where thousands of
> enslaved boys — some as
> young as 9 — work in the most squalid, brutal
> conditions imaginable.
>
>   According to one report, the child slaves of Ivory
> Coast "are whipped,
> beaten and broken like horses to harvest the
> almond-sized beans that
> are made into chocolate treats for more fortunate
> children in Europe
> and the United States."
>
>   We have long been active in efforts to stop
> exploitative child labor,
> as well as trafficking in slaves. So when news
> reports on the abuse of
> children on cocoa farms first emerged in 2001, we
> were determined to
> stop it. We knew that if consumers learned about the
> brutal realities
> of cocoa production, their taste for chocolate would
> sour. Sales — and
> the Ivorian economy — would plummet. But that was
> not our goal. We
> wanted to stop child slavery, not chocolate
> production.
>
>   We viewed a legislative remedy not as a first
> resort but as a last
> resort. So, in good faith, we engaged the major
> chocolate companies in
> lengthy, intense negotiations. The result was the
> Harkin-Engel
> Protocol, signed in 2001.
>
>   The companies agreed to join with other
> stakeholders to produce an
> agreement for eliminating the worst forms of child
> and slave labor
> throughout the chain of chocolate production, and to
> do so
> expeditiously. They also agreed to implement an
> industrywide voluntary
> certification system to give a public accounting of
> labor practices in
> the cocoa-growing countries. This would enable
> consumers to make
> better-informed choices.
>
>   This kind of certification approach is already
> being used effectively
> to combat trafficking in "blood diamonds." In
> several diamond-rich
> African countries racked by civil war and human
> [...]

=====
Markus Petz
Communications Officer
Federation of Young European Greens