[fyeg_gen-l] Call for application: Democracy and tolerance 2005

Nina Busemann (JEF) nina.busemann at jef.de
Tue Aug 2 09:31:39 CEST 2005

Dear all,

As member of the German section of FYEG (Grüne Jugend) and as one of the organisers of the announced seminar, I want to invite you taking part in this seminar. Attached you will find a short description of the issues concerning the seminar.

- What is democracy about?

- The end of tolerance?

- What is the meaning of the term civil society and can we build up a civil society on the European level?

Also we want to strengthen the networking of European Youth Organisations by planning two future events!!!

So I would be very delighted to welcome some “Young greens” in October in Chemnitz and to discuss the forthcoming of the democratisation of the European Union.

Deadline is the 10th of August.

For further more information click on www.jef.de <http://www.jef.de/>  or don’t hesitate to contact me nina.busemann at jef.de. ;-)

Best regards,

Nina

„Democracy and Tolerance – The European Union on its way to a European civil society?“

01-09th October 2005, Castle of Chemnitz (Saxony/Germany)

During our seminar „Democracy and Tolerance – The European Union on its way to a European civil society?“ we want to critically explore and question the meaning of a “European civil society”, how it should be build up and what the role of young NGO’s in doing this can be.

In workshops and panel discussions we hope to find out what roles, rights and duties the different levels (individual, regional, national, European) should have in order to establish a European Civil Society based on democracy, tolerance and pluralism. Keeping in mind the topic of our seminar, we will carefully look at issues as the citizen initiative (Art. I-46 IV) and discuss the ‘definition and goals of the Union’ (Art. I-1 to 6). Furthermore we will examine the importance of the human rights and European citizenship provisions in articles I-9, I-10 as well as the European Charter of fundamental rights in respect of the jurisprudence of the European Court of Justice.

Also by visiting the memorial site Buchenwald we want to give the participants the chance to reflect upon the rights and duties of citizens and civil society. Throughout the seminar we will make use of an interactive approach where the participants will be motivated to make their own contributions and jointly explore the topics and contribute to the outcome of the seminar. The results will be invested in follow up actions planned by the participants.

Still, there is one crucial question: What can we do to motivate more people to become an active member of (our) society?

There will also be a rich cultural and social programme including both Chemnitz and Weimar. The results of the seminar will be recorded on a video recorded by the seminar participants – don’t worry there is going to be assistance!

Conditions:

Participation fee: 100 € (including full board and accommodation)

Travel cost reimbursement: Travel costs will be given to the largest part to/from Chemnitz by cheapest way of travel.

Working language: English

Participating countries: Norway, United Kingdom, Austria, Germany, Latvia, Czech Republic, Greece, Slovenia

Deadline: 10th August 2005!!!!!

For further information, mail to: Nina Busemann (nina.busemann at jef.de)

We are looking forward to seeing in Schloss Chemnitz!

Nina Busemann

Bundesvorstand

JEF Deutschland e.V.

Henkestraße 39