[fyeg_gen-l] Europeans needed! Study Session "Islam andEurope"

Ska Keller tique007 at web.de
Tue Apr 19 20:20:21 CEST 2005

Dear friends!

I would like to remind you of the deadline for people that want to participate in the study session "Islam in history and present of Europe", organised by FYEG and supported by the Council of Europe. You can send your application form (it can be downloaded from www.fyeg.org) to ska at fyeg.org until 1st of May.
Very important: We are still looking for participants coming from European and esp. EU countries!!!

Please forward this e.mail also to your organisation and its members.
All best wishes!
ska
Spokesperson FYEG

  Call for participants

  Study Session "Islam in history and present of Europe"

  The Study Session is realised with the support of the Council of Europe www.coe.int

  For a Study Session taking place from 14th to 21st of August (arrival and departure day) we are looking for 30 young people who are motivated to learn more about the influence of the Islam on Europe, to develop future projects on this topic, to contribute with own ideas and to discuss and to spend one week together with other young members of FYEG and our partner organisations.

  Please find a description of the aims and a draft for the agenda of the seminar below.

  Practicalities:

  Time: 14th (arrival day) to 21st (departure day) of August 2005. You need to attend the entire study session. Coming later or leaving earlier is not possible.

  Venue: The seminar will take place in the European Youth Center in Strasbourg, France. Accomodation in rooms with two beds will be provided.

  Costs: You need to pay  a participation fee of 43 EUR during the seminar. Accomodation and food will be provided. You will receive 100% reimbursement for your travel costs if you take the cheapest option.

  What we expect from you:

  You should be younger than 35 and interested in the topic. It is not demanded to be member of FYEG but members of our member organisations and our partner organisations will be prioritised. You have to be able to attend the whole seminar.  The participants will be chosen according to gender and geographical balance. We especially encourage young women and people with a muslim background to apply.

  Please fill in the attached application form (it is also available at www.fyeg.org) and send it back to ska at fyeg.org by 1st of May 2005.

  Aims of the seminar:

  1.    The idea for this Study Session arose out of the need of communication: we saw the tendency of people to generalize, and then stereotype. Muslims especially faced problems because a lot of people associate the Islam with terror. As politically active youth we cannot accept this generalization. Nevertheless we have to acknowledge the problem and try to fight it. We try to look at the topic; not as "discovering  the Islam", but as a dialogue. Together we want to talk about problems, our view on them and possible solutions. FYEG wants to get in closer contact with NGOs with an Islamic background or with NGOs in countries with a big Muslim population. We want to develop and strengthen co-operation with those organisations. This should help us to open our minds and broaden our horizon. We don't want to forget that Islam is not a far away religion but that in Europe large Muslim communities exist and also countries with a Muslim majority. Since we don't have member organisations in these countries, we want to help youth organisations with similar aims as FYEG to grow and to become part of our federation.

  Our objectives are the following:

              - Fight prejudices

              - Support communication between Islamic and non-islamic youth

              - Gain knowledge about the history of Europe and the religion of islam

              - Develop future projects

              - Strengthen the link between FYEG and NGOs in Islamic countries

  - Continue the process of getting closer contacts with youth NGOs with a Muslim background or from Muslim countries

              - Follow up the long term projects "Crossing the Meditereanean - Youth Dialogue Migration"

  This is what the agenda could be like:

  1st day Arrival day

  Welcoming of the participants

  Getting to know each other, Ice-breaking games

  2nd day

  Energizer, Introduction to the day

  Introduction to the week's program, Aims and objectives of the seminar, FYEG, CoE, Democratic rules, working procedures, technical remarks

  Expectations and motivations

  First input into the topic: a look into the history:

  Lecture on the history of the Islam in Europe

  Q&A, Discussion

  Workshops on aspects of the history of the Islam and Europe

  Topics could include:  a closer look at the person Mohammad, early history of Islam; Al-Andaluz, the Muslim Spain; Ottomans in Europe; history of Caucasus

  Workshop topics can be suggested by the participants

  3rd day

  Energizer, Introduction to the day

  Presentations of yesterday's workshops

  Talk:

  What role does religion play in your identity?

  Talking about personal identity and the role of religion in our lives

  Discussion with expert input: What is Religion? What are common values of religions? Is culture religious? Continuation in Working Groups.

  4th day

  Energizer, Introduction to the day

  The influence of the Islam on Europe

  Lecture: the Influence of Islamic culture on European cultures and examples

  Working groups on: Islamic art in Europe, the Islamic roots of sciences, influence of culture of the Islamic world on Europe

  How is the perception of Europe among Muslims?

  à Role play/theatre

  5th day

  Energizer, Introduction to the day

  Excursion

  The field visit should go to an NGO that works with the topic and is located near the EYC. We still don't know exactly where we will go.

  Free afternoon

  6th day

  Energizer, Introduction to the day

  Migration of Muslims to Europe and how this influences Europe

  Movie and discussion

  Countries with a Muslim majority on their way to the European Union:

  Examples Turkey, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania

  Keynote speeches from participants from these countries about the countries relationship to the EU

  Discussions with the help of texts and personal knowledge

  7th day

  Energizer, Introduction to the day

  Project development through Open Space Technology

  Further development of projects

  Final discussion of the statement that was developed during the week by a statement team

  Evaluation of the Study Session

  8th day Departure Day

  Breakfast and the departure of participants

  FYEG general e-mail list
  mailto:gen-l at fyeg.org
  list information page
  http://listi.jpberlin.de/mailman/listinfo/fyeg_gen-l