[fyeg_gen-l] Group exchange in Slovakia about use of environment

stef.jansen at planet.nl stef.jansen at planet.nl
Mon Apr 18 13:16:56 CEST 2005

Dear FYEG -members,
this looks very interesting and attractive for young green
organisations.
If you can find some people in your group, who would liek to
participate, then apply.
You just pay the 30% travel costs, as usual, all other costs are
covered by the Youth Program.
Don't ask me more than written here, I just found it in some mail I got.
Greets and hope to see you somewhere at a FYEG event,

stef

12 - Is the environment useful or totaly useless ? (EN)
Project Proposal to Partners : Environment awareness youth exchange
project ín Slovakia (in Zilina and in Vysoké Tatry National Park) - "Is
the environment useful or totaly useless ?"
Main goal : Our main goal is to realise during the 2 last weeks of
August 2005, a 10 to 15 days seminar aiming at increasing young people
environmental awareness and intercultural understanding.
The main topic of this seminar could be summarized as :

How humans need environment (for energy production, agriculture,
medical molecules from plants, mining resources...), how environment
modifications can impact people, and how humans are impacting the
environment (decreasing the possibilities to exploit the environment
for energy productions, for agriculture ...).

Renewable energy production will be one of the ways used to see how
environment is useful. Through games, interactive conferences, non
formal learning such as creative workshops, and visits on site, we
learn how in the current energetical context of fossil energy resources
exhaustion, renewable energies are becoming more and more useful. But
because they are based on environmental resources (biomass, wind and
hydro power, see and rivers, sun...), we need to preserve environment
if we want to be able to produce energy in the future. It is very
important since our life and our development is based on energy for
house heating, transportation and so commercial exchange, industrial
and agricultural production, food production ...

But the environment is not only useful for energy production. We will
try to see other direct and indirect uses of our environment. For
instance, useful animals helping human activities such as lady birds in
agriculture helping to control greenfly population that are dammaging
plants. Another example is the wild boar. If its population is not too
high, it is benefic for the forest. Wild boars promote organic matter
incorporation into the soil and destroy harmful insect larvas that are
parasiting trees. Hence, wild boar population preservation and
management can be useful for forest exploitation industry. That is one
example showing how biodiversity preservation is useful for human
societies.

The conclusion we want participants to reach is that destroying
environment is not only bad for animals and ecologist dreamers. It is
also bad for human activities, our economy and our development.

Some means to reach the main goal

Exemple of activities :

1. Visit of Biomasa wood pellets plant production in Kysucky Lieskovec
and visit of boiler rooms rehabilitaded by Biomasa. Visit of Zilina
hydroelectric plant.

Goal : To show how environment (forests for wood pellets production and
rivers for hydroelectric energy production) is useful since it helps us
to produce our energy.

2. Visit in Vysoké Tatry of the forest destroyed by a wind storm during
last November 2004.

Goal : to show it is very important to reconstruct the forest because
first, destroyed forest causes soil erosion in such a way the soil
fertility will dramatically decrease. It will prevent any further
forest replantation possibility. As a consequence, a certain amount of
CO2 in the atmosphere produced by fossil energies (oil, coal, natural
gas) will not be absorbed any more and climate changes will be
stronger. Also, Slovakia will have less forest for biomass energy
production based on wood pellets such as exploited in Biomasa project.

3. Educative game about renewable energies “oil companies facing
ecologist in court„.

First, we will have an interactive conference on renewable energies.
Second, in small groups, participants will have half a day to read
documents in english on renewable energies. Third, in front of all the
participants, some group will have to defend renewable energies,
highlighting their advantages (they will be the renewable
energies „lawyers“). And other groups will have to argue back,
highlighting the disadvantages and weakness of renewable energies (they
will be renewable energies „prosecutors“). It will be an argumentation
exercice like lawyers and prosecutors in trials.

Goal : make people aware about renewable energies possibilities,
existing technologies and what are their advantages and disadvantages.

4. Visit to Raptor Protection of Slovakia association.

We are planing to have a conference given by one of the scientists from
Raptor Protection of Slovakia association. It would concern
environmental problems affecting raptors such as forest destruction and
also how raptors affect humans through is impact on our environment and
on the ecosystem in general. And added to this conference, we should go
on field with the scientist for a natural visit to see the raptors
natural habitat and try to observe them.

Goal : to create a great contact with one of the environment component
(in that case, raptor habitats and raptor species) and then, show to
participants that this environment component is not only amazing and
very beautiful but also very useful for humans.

5. Entertaining activities.

There will be also few entertaining activities aiming at creating a
group cohesion. It is essential for the realisation of the educative
activities we planned focused on environment. These activities will
be : hiking in the mountains, group games, skecthes (small theatre
plays in small groups), artistic activities...

6. etc. ...

Practical information

The age of the participants must be between 18 and 25 years old. The
participants can be from any country (from Europe-25 and from the list
of countries available at the end of this document).

All the costs are covered by European Commission (accomodation, food,
insurance, activities...). Concerning the traveling cost to Slovakia,
you will have to pay only 30 % of the bus/train/flight ticket. European
Commission will pay the 70 % remaining (but take care to buy the less
expensive transport ticket you can find on the market).

Each participant group from each country must have a leader. This
leader can, if he wants (alone or with his group of participants),
prepare a workshop (a 1-3 hours activity), but it is not an obligation
at all. This activity should have a theme linked to environment. He
will send us his activity project and we will then discuss about it by
email. This workshop can be in relation with the participants skills :
theatre activities like improvisation games, sport activity, artistic
activity… The leader will maybe have to help in the logistic during the
seminar like find train tickets, arange for food and relation with the
hostel… He will also take part to seminar evaluation meeting during and
at the end of the stay in Slovakia.

All participants and leaders must have a very good level in english :
be able to understand a conference and to take notes, be able to
understand a group conversation and to speak in front of a group of
people, and be able to read in english.

All participants must bring a picture of them (it will be used for a
small game), and walking shoes (for hiking in the mountains).

It would be better if leaders had a good knowledge in environment
management but it is not an obligation at all.

Dates of seminar : it will be a 10 to 15 days seminar between the 16th
and 31th of August 2005 (we still have to precise the dates).

For more details on the Youth Program Action 1, you can go on the web
site http://europa.eu.int/commm/youth/program/guide/action1_en.html

More info : Mateo Cordier : cordiermateo at hotmail.com