[fyeg_gen-l] Ukranian

wales at younggreens.org.uk wales at younggreens.org.uk
Tue Nov 30 22:20:34 CET 2004

Hi,

Just out of curiosity: I have read in an article by a Ukranian author that the media in Western Europe has distorted the real picture of events in Ukraine. In fact, even the eastern part of Ukraine, she argues, supports Yushchenko whereas alleged support for Yanukovych virtually doesn't exist (she says, for example, the train full of miners who allededly supported Yanukovych was merely a media stunt by the government). In the Western media (Britain, Germany etc.), the events were displayed as a situation on the brink of a civil war in a divided country but in reality, this author argues, almost everyone is actually protesting for the opposition and against the government. Is this true or is it yet another misrepresentation of the situation in Ukraine?

Best wishes,

Martin Koehring
(Wales Young Greens)