[fyeg_gen-l] Fwd: SAME OLD MENTALITY

EBRU TURHAN ebruturhan at gmx.de
Thu Jul 29 01:28:09 CEST 2004

--- Weitergeleitete Nachricht / Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:56:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: murat kanatli <muratkanatli at yahoo.com>
To: ".cyprus youth forum" <cyprusyouthforum at yahoogroups.com>,  ".post"
<posteb at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: SAME OLD MENTALITY

CTP, WHO THINKS THAT THEY ARE IN CHARGE OF LOCAL ADMINISTRATION, PUT AN
OBSTACLE TO PREVENT THE CYPRIOTS VISIT AND PUT FLOWERS TO THE MASS
CEMETERIES

YBH YOUTH, POINTED OUT THE FACT, PEOPLE ARE MISTAKEN IF THEY BELIEVE THAT
CTP HAS CHANGED THE REGIME:

SAME OLD MENTALITY

YBH Youth showed its disappointment that CTP prevented the demonstration
which all Cypriots would participate and put flowers to the mass cemeteries.
CTP, the local administration did not give any permission for the
demonstration
which will take place tomorrow.

The announcement of YBH Youth about the matter is written below:

To the people who believe that by changing the show-room in the north, a
progress took place in our freedom, CTP “Administration” has given the
answer
that these people are mistaken once again.

“No more blood for nationalism”, the bi-communal event which was for the
memory of the ones who died because of nationalism was prevented my Para
militarist groups last year and this year this event is attacked by the ones
who are
supposedly for peace and democracy. The authority in the North said it is
not appropriate for Greek Cypriots to participate in the event so the
administration has not given permission for Greek Cypriots. Only the
administrations
in the oppressor, militarist and anti-democratic regimes in the world make
these kinds of decisions about who can participate in the events taking
place
elsewhere.

Therefore, CTP “government” has shown its real character once more that
their democracy and freedom standards are not modern, it can also be
discussed
whether these values exist for them.

In the recent years, many people from different countries could go from one
country to another to participate in the demonstrations yet to pass from the
southern part of Cyprus to the north is controlled by the mood of the
anti-democratic, militarist regime, and this situation can not be accepted.

Last month, thousands of people went to Istanbul for the demonstration
against the NATO summit, which took place in Istanbul. While Greeks and
Turks
protested NATO with their slogans in the middle of Istanbul, the ones who
are at
the show-room of northern part of Cyprus applied the orders and prevented
the
demonstration. They announced that Greek Cypriots are foreigners and they
needed to get special permission in advance to participate in the
demonstrations in the north so Greek Cypriots participation was prevented.
While any
people with different races could meet and demonstrate elsewhere in the
world, the
efforts of Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots to make a demonstration
together was stopped by “the democracy of CTP”. We ask people who say
“Statue Quo
is abolished in north” to think once more about it. We announce that we can
not accept this kind of oppressor actions that prevent the basic human
rights
and freedoms and we can not accept the statement that Greek Cypriots, the
 people who live in this island are considered foreigners. We state our
disappointments of CTPs actions. We are only disappointed by CTP from the
government because we know the Statue Quo very well. Although they say, the
regime
has changed the fact that they work with orders, obey all the orders and act
against the basic human rights and freedoms, is important for us. Since we
know the regime in north, we believe that we can win the future not in the
elections; we can win it on the streets.

Under these conditions, the shape of event on Saturday is open to discussion
of the other groups and individuals and a decision will be made according to
their opinions and suggestions. However, YBH Youth underlines that they are
ready to take any challenges and responsibilities to have this
demonstration.

Public will be informed on this matter.

Bicommunal Press Release

The Turkish Cypriot Authorities have once more refused to allow Bi-communal
Initiative against Nationalism and War to organize a joint bi-communal
activity. This time they denied granting authorization to hold a
commemorative
ceremony at Murataga (Maratha) by the mass grave of the innocent Turkish
Cypriots
who were murdered in 1974. By this way they impede us to hold one part of
this joint event that aims to honour the innocent victims in both sides.

In an official letter sent to YBH Youth which participates in the
Bi-Communal Initiative they invoked the following:

a) Only citizens of TRNC can participate in demonstrations or in any other
activities in the north but no Greek Cypriots however who are considered as
aliens

b) Fear that the planned commemorative ceremony in the north may provoke the
reaction of nationalists.

We cannot accept that Mr Talat who was elected under the anti - status quo
banner, under the slogan for peace and living together, considers now Greek
Cypriots as foreigners and uses possibly the reaction of a tiny minority of
nationalists – who are always against reconciliation and peaceful
coexistence -
as an excuse in order to cancel a symbolic rapprochement event.

We ask from the Turkish Cypriot Authorities to revise their decision and
allow the Greek and Turkish Cypriots together to honour the memory of the
undeservedly killed victims in both sides.

In either way we are going to meet on Saturday 24 July, 9.30am, at the
buffer zone just before the Turkish Cypriot checkpoint at Ledra Palace and
we
shall try to go through the joint event as it was planned.

Bi-communal Initiative against Nationalism and War

YBH Youth, Workers Democracy, New Cyprus Association peace activist in the
north and the south

http://mail.yahoo.com