[fyeg_gen-l] Cyprus IMCista Investigated by United States Intelligence Services

Natalie Debono ndebono at ba-malta.org
Mon Jul 19 09:01:19 CEST 2004

Cyprus alternative news - read on!

http://www.indymedia.org/or/2004/07/111480.shtml

Last week we learned that the US Central Intelligence
Agency directed the US Embassy in Cyprus to instruct
the Criminal Investigation Division of the police in
Cyprus to investigate an IMCista who is politically
active both in the US and in Cyprus. Petros Evdokas
has been living in Portland, Oregon, USA recently and
is one of the volunteers and journalists for Cyprus
Indymedia
The intelligence investigation is based on an article
he wrote for Cyprus Indymedia documenting some of the
manipulations by US intelligence operations using the
United Nations to influence the recent referendum in
Cyprus on the "Annan Plan" (the UN's plan to reunite
the island in an apartheid-style arrangement). The
article has just been republished by IndyMedia due to
renewed interest by newspapers and other political
organizations. [ read the article ]

We're trying to publicise this and let people know
what's going on. The investigators questioned the
author's parents and wanted them to state in writing
whether he constitutes a "threat to US interests". The
implications of this episode go beyond mere harassment
of an activist's and journalist's family. This case
illustrates the US policy of interference in even the
most minute internal affairs of other countries and it
shows the degree to which the local authorities jump
when the US says to.

Following is a segment of a writtten dialogue between
Petros and one of two independent filmmakers who are
on the island right now doing documentaries on the
situation there:

.... One benefit, is that our people can see a lot
from the Empire's intervention ...through our case we
are able to show that:

1. The Empire is threatened by exposure and
documentation of its vile and despicable domination,
its political, ideological and financial control of
large sections of the BiCommunal Peace process. Even
if our opposition is "only" words, these words seem to
make a difference,

2. The spineless co-operation of the Government of the
Republic of Cyprus with the directives of that
"Certain Intelligence Agency" (who has ever heard of
an independent Republic, simply following the
directives of a foreign Embassy without question or
protest?), reveal how much really, to what a terrible
degree, Cyprus is still a colony of the global Empire.
The academic term for is "neo-colony", but who wants
to be splitting hairs over definitions?

3. The fact that there are at least 2 independent
filmmakers who are aware of this situation, and who
understand the meaning of this effort to silence us by
intimidation, gives courage to our people to continue
our work. Knowing that other independent media workers
such as yourselves appreciate what we do, and are
aware of and concerned about the risks of independent
journalism on issues surrounding the BiCommunal Peace
process and its manipulation by the US intelligence
operations, and who appreciate the need for building
unity between Turks and Hellenes in the region on the
basis of *opposition*, not servitude, to the Empire,
makes it all more worthwhile and less scary for us to
continue our work.

A friend and comrade here in the States, remarked that
this investigation against IndyMedia and me is really
a very instructive case study of the whole process of
how the US Empire has branched itself into the minutae
of the administrative machinery of not only a tiny and
defenseless country like Cyprus, but of an
international project of the United Nations (note the
recent revelations and public admission that even Kofi
Annan's office at the UN Headquarters was under
surveilance by the same "Certain Intelligence
Agency"). The blending of diplomatic action,
surveillance and covert operations machinery, computer
administration systems, police intimidation and
military force, and above all financial domination all
radiating from the core of the global Empire and
extending into the very fabric and tissue of every
community on the planet, paints a good picture of a
world "under the thumb" of the oppressor. Referring to
the action of the US Embassy in this case against me,
he said "with diplomats like this, who needs
generals?"

Our case has been able to demonstrate:

a. total subversion and control of the United Nations
administrative machinery (at least its Cyprus mission)
by US intelligence operations,

b. total subservience of the Government of the
"independent" Republic of Cyprus to a "Certain
Intelligence Agency" of the US and to a foreign
Embassy,

c. complicity by many of the "heroic" individuals who
are active in the BiCommunal process, but who seem to
be more accountable to that foreign Embassy than to
our own peoples' mobilizations for freedom and
democracy among our communities in both the north and
the south (many BiCommunal activists have been
notified of this intimidation, why are they silent
now? For them, it's just the same as when they were
silent about the invasion of Iraq, they don't want to
bite the hand that feeds them),

d. the tiny and "insignificant" Cyprus IndyMedia has a
real role to play in the unfolding historical process,
that what we say and do makes a difference, and it
does have something of an impact in the efforts to
create a world free from domination by corporate
influence and authoritarian state power.

Our activities - yours and ours - as independent
journalists and activists in the global liberation
movement provide us with a unique, double benefit : -
the occasional opportunity to experience that our work
somehow, even in small ways, helps to empower our
communities, build bridges toward international Peace,
and help the movement to disarm (in some future day)
the largest killing machine in the Solar System; -
also provide us the opportunity to plunge into fear,
despair, and helplessness (an emotional daily staple,
for some of us), during most of the time that we spend
doing this work, not knowing whether it is of any
value ...until "the man" comes knocking.