[fyeg_gen-l] Fwd: Event: FOR NO IMMIGRATION CONTROLS. FOR NO BORDERS

EBRU TURHAN ebruturhan at gmx.de
Mon Jul 5 21:22:38 CEST 2004

Subject: Event: FOR NO IMMIGRATION CONTROLS.  FOR NO BORDERS

FOR NO IMMIGRATION CONTROLS.  FOR NO BORDERS

SUPPORT NO ONE IS ILLEGAL - JOIN AN OPEN DISCUSSION IN MANCHESTER ON THE WAY
FORWARD NATIONALLY

DATE    Saturday July 24th

TIME     1pm-5pm

VENUE  Cross Street Chapel, Manchester (disability access)

DIRECTIONS. Cross St Chapel is on Cross St is in the city centre  (opposite
St Anne’s Square/St Anne St - a short walk from  the Town Hall or Victoria
Station, 15 minutes from Piccadilly, side street parking). Cross St is a
continuation of Corporation  St

Several months ago a group of five activists against immigration controls
issued a manifesto – No One Is Illegal. This both put the case for no
immigration controls and laid out an action campaign as to how to fight for
this. The
Manifesto has received  favourable support – both in the UK and overseas..
It
has also met with  objections – in particular that it is “too advanced”.  In
our view these objections are misconceived and relegate the struggle against
immigration controls to the programme that dare not speak its name. Several
of us (not just the original five) now think it is time to bring together on
a national basis those who support the basic position of the Manifesto – to
discuss how to take matters forward  both within the general movement
against
controls and also within the Left. Some issues we think worth discussing
are:

(1) Do we want to alter/update the Manifesto?
(2) How do we argue the “no controls” position in anti-deportation campaigns
that are usually based on “compassionate” grounds
(3)  How we argue for the position within the anti-detention campaigns
(4) The formation of rank and file groups within unions of welfare and
benefit  workers who find themselves assessing immigration status – for a
trade-union backed campaign of non implementation of internal controls.
(5) A trade union campaign of recruitment of undocumented workers – to fight
for the right to work, for equal conditions  for regularisation of status
(6) Do we want to establish local “No One is Illegal” groups – perhaps with
a national structure?
(7)  The building of a national/international  conference of asylum seekers,
migrants and immigrants under the slogan “No One Is Illegal”.
(8) The production of a “No Border” broadsheet
(9) Running our website

A copy of the Manifesto is available on our website at:

http://www.noii.org.uk

Light refreshments will be available. You are welcome to turn up on the day
without first contacting us. However it would help if we knew in advance
approximately how many people will attend. Please email:

noii2004 at aol.com

to say if you are coming or for further information -or if you would like a
speaker at one of your meetings

No One Is Illegal ,16 Wood St, Bolton BL1 1DY

+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router für alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl