[fyeg_gen-l] MACEDONIAN PRESIDENT TRAJKOVSKI KILLED IN PLANE CRASH!

DEMMLADI demmladi at dem.org.mk
Fri Feb 27 00:40:17 CET 2004

Dear friends,

In this sad moments for all citizens of the Republic of Macedonia I want to inform you that yesterday (26.02.2004) at 08.01 a.m our president Mr. Boris Trajkovski was killed in plane crash near Mostar, Bosnia & Herzegovina. Also, I want to inform you that next 3 days were proclaimed as days of mourning in the Republic of Macedonia. The public of Macedonia was shocked because this day has to be the happiest one in Macedonian history because our Prime Minister Mr. Branko Crvenkovski in Dublin, Republic of Ireland has to officially apply for our accession in the European Union.

Bellow you can find more information.

Best regards,

Cvetan Nikolovski
President of DEM - Youth

Dvizenje na Ekologistite na Makedonija - Mladi (DEM - Mladi)
The Ecologists' Movement of Macedonia - Youth (DEM - Youth)
ul. "Vasil Gjorgov" br.39 baraka 6
1000 Skopje, Macedonia
tel: + 389 2 3 220 518; tel/fax: + 389 2 3 128 075
e-mail: demmladi at dem.org.mk

Mr. Boris Trajkovski

**************************************
Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski was killed in an plane crash near Mostar at Stolac early Thursday, MIA reports.
Besides the Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski, also Dimka Ilkovska - Boskovic - adviser of the President for the public relations; Risto Blazevski - advisor of the President; Anita Lozanovska - advisor of the President; Mile Krstevski - Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Boris Velinov - security; Ace Bozinovski - security; Marko Markovski - pilot; and Branko Ivanovski - pilot were killed in plane crash.
The estimated time for plane's arrival was at 08:00 AM. Causes for the accident are yet unknown.
Bosnian media also have confirmed the information saying that there has been a large storm at the moment of plane's disappearing.
SFOR helicopter is searching for the plane.
President Trajkovski should have participated at the International Investments Conference in Mostar.
The Chairman of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Dragan Covic, Thursday in Mostar stated that the plane of Macedonian delegation, who should have participated the International Investment Conference in Bosnia and Herzegovina crashed at Stolac.
"Before formally opening of the Investment Conference in Mostar I would like to inform you that according to unofficial information, the plane of Macedonian delegation led by President Boris Trajkovski crashed," Covic said.
SFOR closed the air traffic over Bosnia in regard to the plane crash.
Albanian PM Fatos Nano and Serbia and Montenegro Svetozar Marovic did not arrive in Mostar to attend the conference.
The plane, in which Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski with office members travelled is a property of Macedonian Government. The aircraft type is King Air and operates 25 years.
US Aircraft Company "Beechcraft" is a manufacturer of the aircraft. King Air has two turbo propeller engines and operates short and middle destinations. The aircraft is registered in the Macedonian Civil Aviation Authority with a register number Z3-AB (Zulu 3 Alfa Bravo).

***********************
Trajkovski was en route to an international investment conference in Mostar. The plane disappeared from radar about 20 miles (32 km) southeast of the Bosnian city.
The apparent crash came on the day Macedonia was submitting its formal application for membership in the European Union.
Confusion as to whether Trajkovski was indeed dead led to the issuing of early condolences from NATO and Ireland.
EU President Romano Prodi said few men in Macedonia have done more than Trajkovski to lead Macedonia toward EU membership.
"We all owe very much to Boris Trajkovski and my sincere hope is that his vision will be a legacy for all Macedonians and will strengthen even further their determination to join the European Institutions soon," Prodi said in a written statement.
NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer praised Trajkovski's "great leadership."
And in Dublin, Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern was meeting with a visiting Macedonian government delegation presenting the official EU application.
Ahern's office said the presentation ceremony for the EU application had been canceled because of the "tragic news that President Boris Trajkovski has died in a plane crash over Bosnia."
Ahern also offered his "deep sympathy" to Macedonian Prime Minister Branko Crvenkovski.
Reports of the president's death also echoed in the European Parliament in Brussels.
"I begin today on a very sad note," said EP President Pat Cox. "I have just learned that ... President Boris Trajkovski of Macedonia has been killed in an accident with his staff as he traveled from Skopje for a meeting in Mostar."
Javier Solana, the EU's international policy chief, called Trajkovski a "man of passion" and said it was "a very tragic day for Macedonia."