[fyeg_gen-l] Yenicag Newspaper Editor Murat Kanatli was Attacked by "Gray Wolves"

Natalie Debono ndebono at ba-malta.org
Mon Oct 20 11:26:46 CEST 2003

Murat Kanatli is a contributor to the Ecosprinter.

On behalf of the Federation of Young European Greens (FYEG) I offer my
solidarity and keep up your good work Murat.  Don't let the wolves get you
down!

Natalie Debono
Communications
FYEG
Yenicag Newspaper Editor Murat Kanatli was Attacked by
"Gray Wolves"
(Cyprus Alternative News, October, 17th 2003)

Murat Kanatli, a journalist who is also the editor of Yenicag Newspaper was
attacked, hit on the head and shoulders and his camera was taken away from
him while photographing a demonstration by KKTC Ulku Ocaklari Association.
The police force simply watched while the
events were developing and afterwardstold Kanatli "What were you doing
there? You should not have been photographing". After
the attack, Kanatli went to Nicosia Police Headquarters and filed
a complaint about the attack and that his memory card was stolen.

HOW DID THE EVENTS DEVELOP?

"Gray Wolves" carried out a protest in Nicosia to
"protest the
intervention of EU and USA in TRNC elections". They
first stopped at
the American embassy then walked to the Ledra Palace
check point where
they read a press declaration. Afterwards, they
stopped by the
"Martyrs Memorial" and Africa newspaper and prayed and
chanted.  "Gray
Wolves are here, were are the traitors?", "Gray Wolves
are here, were
are the infidels", "No to EU, Turan in your face!"
(Turan is the
"ideal" of the grand Turkish homeland", "Greeks are
dogs and will
always be dogs", "The army of Gray Wolves, the fear of
traitors", "EU
do not try our patients" were some of their slogans.
During the
protest, the police watched everything without any
shields or batons
(which they commonly use against the pro-peace
demonstrations).

Finally, they went to the Nicosia center of their
association where a
representative gave a speech. Genc TV, NTV, BRT,
Avraysa , Kibris and
Yenicag were the media outlets that were in
attendance. Murat Kanatli
was photographing the event as Yenicag Editor. After
he left the
building, while walking in the street he was attacked
by a group of
20-30 gray wolves. They pushed him around and hit him
in his head and
shoulders and took away his camera. The police force
which was
observing this event did not take any action and told
Kanatli "What
were you doing there? You should not have been
photographing." After
Kanatli asked the police to retrieve his camera, the
body was returned
but the memory card was stolen.

FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE POLICE

Murat Kanatli then proceeded to the Nicosia Police
Headquarters and
filed a complaint that members of the Ulku Ocaklari
Association
members had beaten him up and took his belongings.
Head of Press
Workers Union (BASIN-SEN) Kemal Darbaz also went to
the police and
asked them to go after the culprits. In his press
release, Darbaz said
"We strongly condemn the attack against journalist
Murat Kanatli. In
reality, this is a result of certain circles who have
been exploiting
the 'Turkish vs Cypriot distinction' and looking for
trouble for their
political purposes. Ofcourse, they are also trying to
pull the
struggle of Turkish Cypriot public for a solution and
EU membership
towards other directions. It is a provocation in an
effort to divert
the public attention. The police should not take this
lightly and
consider it as a major event. Only this could stop
similar circles
from carrying out similar attackts.

Other media outlets such as Kibris newspaper and SIM
FM also were in
attendance in the police headquarters. Darbaz also
pointed out that
these events have been on the rise and the police
should take proper
action. Kanatli then went to the hospital and obtained
a medical
report that he has been beaten up.

WHAT DID KANATLI SAY?

Kanatli made an announcement to the press. He said
that he did not
carry anything provocative and did not speak to anyone
that could have
triggered this. Despite of this, he was attacked
violently. He also
said "This once more shows that some paramilitary
organizations are
once again active. Eventhough, we did not have any
dialogue, I was
attacked violently. This shows, like Tanil Bora
pointed out in his
book "Devlet-Ocak-Dergah" that violence is inherent
part of Gray Wolf
mentality. They attack those that they consider as
"enemy" without any
reason. We announce that we do not accept such
violence and we are
against any form of violence. We will not reply to
violence with
violence. We will continue our struggle using all our
democratic and
legal rights."