[fyeg_gen-l] Fw: Weekly deaths at European borders

FYEG FYEG at europarl.eu.int
Thu Jun 19 20:11:05 CEST 2003

From: 	UNITED <info at unitedagainstracism.org>
To:	<info at unitedagainstracism.org>
Date: 	6/19/03 8:09
Subject: 	E-NEWS 19/06/2003: Weekly deaths at European borders

UNITED E-NEWS 19/06/2003

20 June International Refugee Day
"Weekly deaths at European borders - fatal realities of Fortress Europe"

On Monday this week, many would-be-immigrants from Africa drowned
near Sicily in a Sea tragedy. On Tuesday, in the Strait of Gibraltar
Spanish marines rescued about 160 refugees, who got into distress.
While the leader
of Italy's far-right Lega Nord suggests to shoot "illegal" immigrants
with cannons out of the water, thousands of refugees in desperate
situations die at the borders of Fortress Europe.

UNITED, the European network against racism, monitors refugee deaths
since 1993. The network of 560 anti-racist and refugee organisations
has documented over 3800 deaths
(http://www.united.non-profit.nl/pdfs/listofdeaths), who for instance
drowned in the
Mediterranean See, the Strait of Gibraltar, suffocated in trucks or
committed suicide in Europe's detention centers.

On 18 June this year, BBC reported about a would-be-immigrant, who
died after jumping into the English Channel. It seems that the
25-year-old man from the Ivory Coast decided to jump overboard when
the crew found him hidden on the upper deck of a container ship.
Earlier this year, a 22-year old Nigerian died of a lack of medical
care in the refugee transit center in Thurhof (CH), followed just a
few days later by a 18-year-old Iraqi, who crushed to death while
trying to climb on a lorry in Calais (F) on its way to England.

UNITED spokesperson Leon Wansleben says: "All these deaths tell us a
simple truth: Refugees will keep on coming to Europe even if we try
our best to lock up Europe's doors. On the EU summit in Thessaloniki
on 20 and 21 June,
the European leaders will discuss on how to protect the external
borders from clandestine immigration. It is frightening that the push
factor behind this policy of external border control is the desired
decrease of asylum
applications. Europe's commitment to the 1951 Geneva Convention,
whose 52 anniversary is ironically celebrated on 20 June, is ignored
at the moment."
UNITED also criticizes UK's proposal for EU 'Transit Processing
Centers', which will be discussed in Thessaloniki. Human Rights
organisations like Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch call
such centers "unlawful and unworkable" driving even more refugees
underground. UNITED is convinced that instead Europe should turn to
policies that address the causes for flight. Global social injustice
and world-wide armed conflicts make people leave everything behind
and risk their lives. "If we do not take care that the global
political and socio-economic situation gets better, we cannot
realistically expect people to stay in situations that we ourselves
would find unbearable. Our commitment to human rights demands us to
see refugees as human beings with individuals rights and needs."

20 JUNE INTERNATIONAL REFUGEE DAY
Many non-governmental organisations co-operate in support of refugees
around 20 June, the International Refugee Day 2003. In nearly all
European countries activities take place, for example:
- In Great-Britain, several human rights and refugee organisations
organise a Refugee Week with more than 160 activities all over the
country. Please check www.refugeeweek.org.uk/
- The African Refugee Network in Ireland organises the "World Refugee
Day Awards"
- In Romania, the Youth Forum for European Integration undertakes
different activities around 20 June.

REFUGEE PROJECT AT PRAGUE BIENALE
At the Prague Bienale Art Exhibition (27.6 - 31.8) the Italian artist
Mario Rizzi will present an installation based on the UNITED Refugee
Death List.

LINKS
http://www.unitedagainstracism.org more information about the refugee campaign
http://www.united.non-profit.nl/pdfs/listofdeaths the list of refugee
death cases
http://www.united.non-profit.nl/pdfs/deathlist2003.pdf the campaign
poster documenting the refugee deaths can be ordered for free from
the UNITED secretariat (max 100)

http://www.go-no-go.nl photo exhibition about the refugee situation
at European Borders:
http://border-rescue.social-impact.at/ Internet project on refugee
deaths and Czech-Austrian border

If you want to receive a copy of E-news to your own email address,
just send a message from that address with 'subscribe' in the subject
line

UNITED for Intercultural Action
European network against nationalism, racism, fascism and in support
of migrants and refugees
Postbox 413   -  NL 1000 AK Amsterdam
phone +31-20-6834778  -  fax +31-20-6834582
info at unitedagainstracism.org  -  http://www.unitedagainstracism.org
Start your cyberday on http://www.icare.to   -  Internet Centre
Anti-Racism Europe

Aleksandar Jovanovic
Office Coordinator and Administrator
Federation of Young European Greens (FYEG)
European Parliament
ASP 8G138
Rue Wiertz
B-1047 Brussels, Belgium