[fyeg_gen-l] Re:Tony Blair: nul points

Jeanette Perman jeanette.perman at mp.se
Tue Jun 3 23:46:52 CEST 2003

In Sweden the discourse (of one may say that such a thing exists)on the
F-word is similar to the one in the UK. Also here the word federalism
equals centralism and the buildning of a undemocratic "super state". This
can be mainly explained by historic/contextual reasons, but also an
unwillingness to see other solutions and possibilities to democratic
societies and "world order" than the one with the nation state as the most
important level of governence and power. I do not believe though, as the
writer of the article seem to do, that federalism is the answer to all our
prayers.

I think we, as greens, should challenge the prevailing notions of
democracy in the european context, where the only choice seem to be
between two alternatives. Intergovernmentalism or federalism. The EU of
today is neither and at the same time both. It is rather unique in its
construction of multilevel governance and decision making, both
historically  and in a political science point of view. Allready new forms
for influnce, of transborder co-operation (policial, organisational,
business etc) and exchange are taking place that in different ways are
challenging the nation state but also EU superiority claims.

So maybe we should stop thinking in terms of either or and leave the path
of dichotomies, that seldom actually exists, behind us. It may be possible
to create, evolve new forms of participation, popular controle and
legitimacy, which neither stresses the nation state nor the central EU
administration. I believe this is possible. But which are the ways
forward? Regionalism, continued complex multi-level governance, direct
democracy? I would say yes, a strengthening of popular conrole and
influence on a multitude of levels could and should be a starting point.
But together we should be able to get further than that, shouldnt we?

Jeanette Perman
Spokesperson FYEG