[fyeg_gen-l] Fw: When youre' happy and you know it bomb Iraq

Stefan Buzar sbuzaro at nimbus.geog.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 28 20:18:31 CET 2003

> WHEN YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT BOMB IRAQ
>
> (You have to sing this one to the tune of "When you're happy and you
> know it")
>
> If you cannot find Osama, bomb Iraq.
> if the markets are a drama, bomb Iraq.
> If the terrorists are frisky,
> Pakistan is looking shifty,
> North Korea is too risky,
> Bomb Iraq.
>
> If we have no allies with us, bomb Iraq.
> If we think someone has pissed us, bomb Iraq.
> So to hell with the inspections,
> Let's look tough for the elections,
> Close your mind and take directions,
> Bomb Iraq.
>
> It's "pre-emptive non-aggression", bomb Iraq.
> Let's prevent this mass destruction, bomb Iraq.
> They've got weapons we can't see,
> And that's good enough for me
> 'Cos it'all the proof I need
> Bomb Iraq.
>
> If you never were elected, bomb Iraq.
> If your mood is quite dejected, bomb Iraq.
> If you think Saddam's gone mad,
> With the weapons that he had,
> And he tried to kill your dad),
> Bomb Iraq.
>
> If your corporate fraud is growin', bomb Iraq.
> If your ties to it are showin', bomb Iraq.
> If your politics are sleazy,
> And hiding that ain't easy,
> And your manhood's getting queasy,
> Bomb Iraq.
>
> Fall in line and follow orders, bomb Iraq.
> For our might knows not our borders, bomb Iraq.
> Disagree? We'll call it treason,
> Let's make war not love this season,
> Even if we have no reason,
> Bomb Iraq.
>
> ----------
>
> I WANT TO OBLITERATE IRAQ
>
> A White House Conversation taken from "Middle East Side Story"
> to sing to the tune of Bernstein's "I want to be in America"
>
> ref: I want to obliterate Iraq
> OK by me, 'cause I hate Iraq
> Who cares about that third-rate Iraq?
> No need to even debate Iraq.
>
> I want to get that guy Saddam!
> Can't talk to someone who hates ham.
> Why can't the Ayrabs be like us???
> Just wipe them out. It's much less fuss.
>
> ref: I want to be rid of them Sunnis.
> And bring the Shiites all to their knees.
> Just like we did the Indo-Chinese.
> But this time we don't have to say 'please.'
>
> We will win the war on terror.
> Long as we don't have a mirror. . .
> This time there's no way we won't win!
> Just like we did with Ho Chi Minh.
>
> ref: U.S. forever! Down U.N.!
> We'll never pay them damn dues again!
> Pick up your swords and forget your pen!
> I'm glad to be a Republican!

800 missiles to hit Iraq in first 48 hours
By Andrew West and agencies
January 26 2003
The Sun-Herald

The US intends to shatter Iraq "physically, emotionally and psychologically"
by raining down on its people as many as 800 cruise missiles in two days.

The Pentagon battle plan aims not only to crush Iraqi troops, but also wipe
out power and water supplies in the capital, Baghdad.

It is based on a strategy known as "Shock and Awe", conceived at the
National Defense University in Washington, in which between 300 and 400
cruise missiles would fall on Iraq each day for two consecutive days. It
would be more than twice the number of missiles launched during the entire
40 days of the 1991 GulfWar.

"There will not be a safe place in Baghdad," a Pentagon official told
America's CBS News after a briefing on the plan. "The sheer size of this has
never been seen before, never been contemplated before."

The plan has emerged just as American diplomats at the United Nations hinted
that the US Administration might be willing to give UN weapons inspectors
another month to complete their task.

Chief inspector Hans Blix is due to report back to the UN on Tuesday.

President George Bush has been displaying increasing impatience with the
pace of inspections and is eager to start the bombing. But according to UN
sources he has resigned himself to the fact that the US lacks enough votes
on the Security Council to wage a military campaign.

Mr Bush's belligerence yesterday found a match in comments by Uday Hussein.
In a rare public appearance, the son of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein said
the consequences of American attack on his country would make the September
11, 2001, terrorist strike look like a picnic.

He warned: "If they come, September 11, which they are crying over and see
as a big thing, will be a real picnic for them, God willing.

"They will be hurt and pay a price they will never imagine. They can get
much more from Iraq without resorting to the logic of force and war."

According to the architect of "Shock and Awe", military strategist Harlan
Ullman, the plan would rely on an extensive array of precision-guided
weapons.

"We want them to quit, not to fight," Ullman said, "so that you have this
simultaneous effect - rather like the nuclear weapons at Hiroshima - not
taking days or weeks but minutes."

The main objective was not just to disable Iraq's fighting capacity but to
leave the population dispirited and unwilling to support Saddam's regime.

"You're sitting in Baghdad and, all of a sudden, you're the general and 30
of your division headquarters have been wiped out," Mr Ullman said. "You
also take the city down. By that I mean you get rid of their power and
water. In two, three, four, five days they are physically, emotionally and
psychologically exhausted."

The American war plans will cause even greater angst in Europe, where the
French and Russian governments, reflecting wider international fears, are
threatening to veto any US rush to military action.

French President Jacques Chirac and Russia's Vladimir Putin have agreed
"their positions [on a US strike] are very close", a French spokeswoman
said. Both countries are permanent members of the UN Security Council, and
either could veto any UN approval of an American attack.

Mr Putin has also co-opted German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder into
supporting a diplomatic solution to the crisis in Iraq. Germany is now the
major power in Europe and the Chancellor's reluctance, if not outright
refusal, to endorse a unilateral US strike would be a major setback to the
Bush Administration.

The dossier by Dr Blix, and the head of the International Atomic Energy
Agency Mohamed ElBaradei, is expected to report that Iraqi
co-operation with inspectors has been "satisfactory" and they could find no
"smoking gun", no evidence that could be used a pretext for war.

But the pair will also say Iraq could offer even greater co-operation in the
search for nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, or materials that could
be used in their construction, within its borders.

But America's increasingly aggressive stance is isolating opinion around the
world. Late on Friday, his Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld drove a wedge
further into US-European relations when he dismissed Germany and France as
representing "old Europe".

He comments drew a sharp rebuke from the foreign ministers of both
countries.

If the US wants UN approval for any strike it will have to wring votes out
of the 15 Security Council members. At the moment, it can count only on the
solid support of Britain, the likely support of Spain and Bulgaria, and the
possible support of Guinea and Cameroon.

China, France, Russia, Germany and Syria were most opposed and likely to
influence Angola, Chile, Mexico and Pakistan.