[fyeg_gen-l] February 4 Day of Action: No Blood for Oil!

Natalie Debono ndebono at ba-malta.org
Fri Jan 17 09:43:50 CET 2003

Friends,

This call to action, is intended to be international, and it will be
publicized at the World Social Forum in Porto Alegre, Brazil next week.  We
are trying to make the link between peace, sustainability, and clean energy
as clear as possible.  The day of action has been endorsed by organizations
like Greenpeace here in the U.S., and it's possible that Greenpeace offices
or other organizations in other countries would be interested in joining in.

Nathan

```````````````````````````
Please join the Sierra Student Coalition, Student Peace Action Network and
others in working for sustainability and peace, not war . . .

Ben G.
SSC

---Please distribute widely and apologies for cross-postings---

THE PRICE OF OIL IS TOO HIGH
NO IRAQ WAR

PROTEST FOR PEACE
AT YOUR LOCAL GAS STATION

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF ACTION
TUESDAY FEBRUARY 4th

www.TargetOil.com

ORGANIZE a demonstration for peace at your local gas station, on February
4th. On that day, hundreds of gas stations across the country and around the
world will be targeted as we send a clear message that access to oil is not
worth war.

Leafleting, vigils, street theater, and other forms of nonviolent direct
action are all encouraged. Our intent is to communicate through education
and peaceful confrontation that clean energy alternatives to oil exist, and
that they can increase our security and give us true energy independence.

To organize a demonstration in your area, visit www.TargetOil.com to check
for demonstrations in your area and register your rally. Also download key
information regarding oil & war there and via links to the sponsoring
organizations.

WHY FOCUS ON OIL?

No conflict can ever be understood by looking at just one factor – factors
other than oil (e.g. supposed links to terrorism and possible weapons of
mass destruction) clearly contribute to the rationale for war – but the
dominant economic interest in the region and Iraq has been, is, and will
continue to be oil. The peace movement’s rallying cry of “No blood for oil”
has resonance and power because it holds more than a grain of truth when
talking about any proposed military action in Iraq. Is the Bush
administration’s push for war with Iraq motivated by its desire to gain
control of Iraq’s oil fields? As an oil industry consultant put it recently
when asked if oil was part of the equation: “Of course it is. No doubt.”

CONSIDER THESE STATEMENTS AND FACTS:

- Oil is unquestionably the vital interest of the United States, Europe, and
Japan in the Persian Gulf.  Two-thirds of the world’s proven oil supplies
are in the Persian Gulf.  In a recent statement to Congress, General Anthony
Zinni testified that the US "must have free access to the region’s
resources”. As long as we are dependent on oil, we are dependent on this
region.

- “[Going to war with Iraq] is clearly a decision that is motivated by
George W. Bush’s desire to please the arms and oil industries in the United
States of America.” -  Nelson Mandela, September, 2002

- " US oil companies will almost certainly benefit from a regime change in
Iraq,”  - Ahmed Chalabi, the leader of the Iraqi National Congress (the most
prominent       opposition group).  Chalabi also favors the creation of a
consortium of US oil companies  to develop Iraq’s oil.

Iraq holds the world’s second largest reserves of oil. Eleven percent of the
world’s known oil reserves are in Iraq. The US Energy Information
Administration estimates Iraq’s possible reserves at 220 billion barrels, or
approximately 80% of current proven Saudi reserves. If sanctions were
removed and new technology was brought in, Iraq would quickly be in a
position to dramatically increase production. Having access to this oil
would help insulate the US from any disruptions in supply from Saudi Arabia
and/or Venezuela, something that the Bush/Cheney administration is very
worried about.

Through clean energy sources like wind and solar power, and transportation
options such as increasing fuel economy standards, gasoline-electric
hybrids, biodiesel, and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, we can reduce our
dependence on foreign oil and increase our security.  We can have energy
independence while preventing climate change and pollution in our air,
creating new jobs, and helping the economy.

THE PRICE OF OIL IS TOO HIGH
NO IRAQ WAR

"If you are trying to talk about Iraq and if you were not encumbered by the
fear that your actions would be linked to Exxon Mobil or the oil industry,"
said one Bush adviser, who spoke on condition of anonymity, "you'd be
talking about oil issues."- NY Times, November 26, 2002

For more information, or to register your rally by phone, contact:

Jason Kafoury        Democracy Rising        202-387-8030
Jen Carr                Peace Action            202-862-9740
Maria Ramos        Greenpeace            202-319-2467
Steve Kretzmann    SEEN / IPS            202-234-9382

Endorsing organizations: Amazon Watch, Citizen Works, Code Pink, Democracy
Rising, Global Exchange, Greenpeace, Peace Action, Power Shift, Project
Underground, Sierra Student Coalition, Sustainable Energy & Economy Network,
The Ruckus Society - visit www.TargetOil.com to have your organization
endorse this day of action

Nathan Wyeth
Chair - Student Action on the Global Economy Program
Sierra Student Coalition
301 656 8773 / 301 221 5675 mobile
nathan.wyeth at ssc.org
www.ssc.org