[fyeg_gen-l] a different way to protest again war

Sascha Bachmann sascha at netzmomente.de
Sat Feb 15 21:55:44 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm skeptical on this, but maybe the story below is right. But I believe at
the moment so many geo-strategic and economic reasons are for Bush
administration to bomb Iraq, that even tons of rice won't help to prevent
this war.

But good to know this for future activities, I'm unfortunatly sure, Iraq
won't be last target.

Sascha

P.S.: 500.000 people in Berlin participated on demonstration against war
today, lots of Green and Green Youth members. Great!

--

"We can do no great things,
We can only do small things with great love."

1) Place 1/2 c. uncooked rice in a small plastic bag (a snack-sized bag or
sandwich bag works fine).
2) Squeeze out excess air and seal the bag.
3) Wrap it in a piece of paper on which you have written: "If your enemies
are hungry, feed them. (Romans 12:20)  Please send this rice to the people
of Iraq; do not attack them."
4) Place the paper and bag of rice in an envelope (either a letter-sized or
small padded mailing envelope - both are the same cost to mail) and
address it to:

President George Bush
White House - 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20500

(Feel free to apply this to your own government!)

Drop this in the mail TODAY. It is important to act NOW so that President
Bush and Prime Minister Chretien get our letters as soon as possible!
In order for this protest to be effective, there must be hundreds of
thousands of such rice deliveries to the White House and Parliament Hill. We
can do this if we all forward this message to our friends and family. If we
get the message out, there will be packets from hundreds of thousands of
people!

There is a positive history of this protest! Read on!

In the mid 1950s, the pacifist Fellowship of Reconciliation, learning of
famine in the Chinese mainland, launched a "Feed Thine Enemy" campaign.
Members and friends mailed thousands of little bags of rice to the White
House with a tag quoting the Bible, "If thine enemy hunger, feed him." As
far as anyone knew for more than ten years, the campaign was an abject
failure. The President did not acknowledge receipt of the bags publicly;
certainly no rice was ever sent to China.

"What nonviolent activists only learned a decade later was that the campaign
played a significant, perhaps even determining role in preventing nuclear
war. Twice while the campaign was on, President Eisenhower met with the
Joint Chiefs of Staff to consider US options in the conflict with China over
two islands, Quemoy and Matsu. The generals twice recommended the use of
nuclear weapons. President Eisenhower each time turned to his aide and asked
how many little bags of rice had come in. When told they numbered in the
tens of thousands, Eisenhower told the generals that as long as so many
Americans were expressing active interest in having the US feed the Chinese,
he certainly wasn't going to consider using nuclear weapons against them."

(People Power: Applying Nonviolence Theory by David H. Albert, p. 43, New
Society, 19.)

Thank you all for being people of hope.