[fyeg_gen-l] Join the protest against the Iraq war on the 15th of February 2003

gronn.ungdom at gronne.no gronn.ungdom at gronne.no
Thu Feb 13 17:19:28 CET 2003

Dear Natalia

The Norwegian Green Youths are going to participate in demonstrations in the
three major cities in Norway, and our members will join the demonstrations in
their local cities/bygds. We'll be happy to send you a few words and possibly
pictures from the events taking place on saturday. I'm convinced this is going
to be the biggest manifestation against war ever this century.

Keep up the good work!

Sincerely yours,
Lars Gaupset, spokesperson

Sitat Natalie Debono <ndebono at ba-malta.org>:

> Dear friends
>
> FYEG like other organisations is appealing to its members to go in the
> streets and organise or join the protest against war in Iraq on the 15th of
> February 2003.  You will find the statment attached to this mail which I
> kindly ask you to distribute.
>
> I would also like a few of you to write a short paragraph about the protest
> which you will be involved in and if possible to send some pictures which we
> will feature in the next Ecosprinter March 2003.  So I am waiting for some
> promises for articles from you :)
>
> Take care
>
> Natalie Debono
> Communications - FYEG
> natalie at fyeg.org
>

> Join the protest against the Iraq war on the 15th of February 2003
>
> This is an appeal to all the Federation of Young European Greens (FYEG)
> members to stand up against USA unilateral actions against Iraq.
>
> The opposition against a new war in Iraq is growing and the 15th of February
> will be marked by demonstrations in all European capitals and around the
> world. We hope that as many as possible of our member organisations will be
> present on this day. Contact your local organisation for more information on
> the when and where the event should take place.
>
> FYEG statement on Iraq
>
> The planned war against Iraq is threatening to destabilise the whole region
> and trigger a humanitarian and ecological catastrophe in an already volatile
> region. We are in a situation were the USA unilaterally or in alliance with
> European countries may decide to intervene in Iraq without putting forward
> the proper information on the true intentions for the war. The reasons may
> be various, ranging from terrorism to oil but the truth is that we are left
> in the dark.  We are not informed of the full scale of the Bush
> administration’s visions for the region. This alone is a strong enough
> reason to oppose the war. Any intervention must be based on international
> law and a broad political base not solely on the determination of the USA.
>
> We say no in the name of international law and peace
>
> -	Therefore we call for an extension of the mandate for the UN weapons
> inspectors so that they are given adequate time and resources for a thorough
> completion of their mission.
>
> -	Diplomatic solution must be used in an attempt to de-escalate the
rhetoric
> and defuse the conflict, as the recent Franco-German proposals.
>
> -	The Security Council must look at other options to war for holding
Saddam