[fyeg_gen-l] Join the protest against the Iraq war on the 15th of February 2003

Natalie Debono ndebono at ba-malta.org
Thu Feb 13 15:48:17 CET 2003

Dear friends

FYEG like other organisations is appealing to its members to go in the
streets and organise or join the protest against war in Iraq on the 15th of
February 2003.  You will find the statment attached to this mail which I
kindly ask you to distribute.

I would also like a few of you to write a short paragraph about the protest
which you will be involved in and if possible to send some pictures which we
will feature in the next Ecosprinter March 2003.  So I am waiting for some
promises for articles from you :)

Take care

Natalie Debono
Communications - FYEG
natalie at fyeg.org

Join the protest against the Iraq war on the 15th of February 2003

This is an appeal to all the Federation of Young European Greens (FYEG)
members to stand up against USA unilateral actions against Iraq.

The opposition against a new war in Iraq is growing and the 15th of February
will be marked by demonstrations in all European capitals and around the
world. We hope that as many as possible of our member organisations will be
present on this day. Contact your local organisation for more information on
the when and where the event should take place.

FYEG statement on Iraq

The planned war against Iraq is threatening to destabilise the whole region
and trigger a humanitarian and ecological catastrophe in an already volatile
region. We are in a situation were the USA unilaterally or in alliance with
European countries may decide to intervene in Iraq without putting forward
the proper information on the true intentions for the war. The reasons may
be various, ranging from terrorism to oil but the truth is that we are left
in the dark.  We are not informed of the full scale of the Bush
administration’s visions for the region. This alone is a strong enough
reason to oppose the war. Any intervention must be based on international
law and a broad political base not solely on the determination of the USA.

We say no in the name of international law and peace

-	Therefore we call for an extension of the mandate for the UN weapons
inspectors so that they are given adequate time and resources for a thorough
completion of their mission.

-	Diplomatic solution must be used in an attempt to de-escalate the rhetoric
and defuse the conflict, as the recent Franco-German proposals.

-	The Security Council must look at other options to war for holding Saddam
Hussein to account for his disregard for human rights and international
cooperation and a potential failure to comply with Resolution 1441. These
include the use of “smart sanctions” targeted at the governmental elite.’

-	Economic sanctions should be lifted because of their perverse consequences
for the Iraqi people and their obvious ineffectiveness in achieving the
goals they were set up to reach.

Jeanette Perman
Spokesperson
Federation of Young European Greens (FYEG)
European Parliament Spinelli 8G138
Rue Wiertz
B-1047 Brussels, Belgium
tel:+32 2 284 24 40