[fyeg_gen-l] Merry Christmas and Happy new year

FYEG FYEG at europarl.eu.int
Thu Dec 19 13:14:46 CET 2002

Dear friends,
we came upon another turn of numbers on our calendar. Year 2002 is almost over and it is good time to summarize our thoughts and experiences.

I really hope that you are happy with FYEG work and that you will continue to support our work in new 2003. As you already know plans are very large and FYEG will need all of the support to realize these common objectives for Young Greens. Together we can do anything!

On technical side

Office will be closed for 20th of December till January 7th. In meanwhile you can still contact me by e mail fyeG at fyeg.org or directly to my address: aleksandar at zeleni.org.yu

Winter package of documents will be sent to you right after new year. This package should contain all important documents we adopted in Gent and as well October, November and latest December issue of Ecosprinter. Natalie, our new communication officer, did great job with latest issue and you will get it in digital form in couple of days.

Well, above all I wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Lots of love, success and nice time for you my friends!

With kind regards,
Alex

Aleksandar Jovanovic
Office Coordinator and Administrator
Federation of Young European Greens (FYEG)
European Parliament Spinelli 8G138
Rue Wiertz
B-1047 Brussels, Belgium
tel:+32 2 284 24 40
fax:+32 2 284 92 73
fyeg at europarl.eu.int and visit www.fyeg.org

>>> ndebono at ba-malta.org 12/19/02 11:40 >>>
Directive providing for public participation in environmental
decision-making
Environment Commissioner Margot Wallström today welcomed the agreement
between the European Parliament and the Council on a new Directive on public
participation in environmental decision-making. The Directive provides for
public participation in the preparation of environmental plans and
programmes, in the sectors of waste management, air pollution and protection
of water against nitrate pollution, and of projects with significant
environmental impact. The Directive implements a part of the UN-ECE Aarhus
Convention into EU legislation.

Commissioner Wallström commented : "This Directive brings us one step
further in implementing the Aarhus Convention(1). In practice, it will
enable European citizens to take part more effectively in environmental
decision-making which affects them. If the public is aware of environmental
issues, and involved in decisions, then the decisions are likely to be of a
better quality, because relevant information and interests will have been
taken into account. And those decisions are also likely to be better
implemented and respected, because stakeholders will have been involved in
the decision."

Public involvement in environmental decision-making contributes not only to
increased environmental awareness among the public but also to improved
quality of the decisions and, lastly, public support. The new Directive
establishes basic procedures for public participation in important plans and
programmes relating to the environment, in the sectors of waste, air
pollution and protection of water against nitrate pollution. The Directive
also introduces for the first time public participation in the
decision-making on environmentally significant projects. To do so, it amends
the Directives on environmental impact assessment and integrated pollution
prevention and control(2). It also establishes access to justice, giving the
public a possibility to challenge the legality of decisions, acts or
omissions subject to the public participation provisions. Within the
framework of the Directive, Member States will have to establish the
practical arrangements to provide for effective and early participation.

Agreement on the Directive was reached in a single conciliation meeting
between the European Parliament and the Council, and it retains the main
elements of the January 2001 proposal from the Commission(3).

The Union and all its Member States have signed the Aarhus Convention (the
UN/ECE Convention on Access to Information, Public Participation in
Decision-Making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters), which
entered into force on the 30 October 2001. The Directive adds to the
recently agreed Directive on public access to environmental information. It
will still have to be formally approved, and Member States will have a delay
of two years for its implementation.

(1)Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council providing for
public participation in respect of the drawing up of certain plans and
programmes relating to the environment and amending with regard to public
participation and access to justice Council Directives 85/337/EEC and
96/61/EC

(2)Council Directive 85/887/EEC on the assessment of the effects of certain
public and private projects on the environmentCouncil Directive 96/61/EEC
concerning integrated pollution prevention and control

(3)See HYPERLINK
"http://europa.eu.int/rapid/start/cgi/guesten.ksh?p_action.gettxt=gt&doc=IP/
01/118|0|AGED&lg=EN&display=" IP/01/118 of 26 January 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria Farrugia

EICC Executive

EURO INFO CORRESPONDENCE CENTRE