[FoME] SAVE THE DATE: October 5-6, 2023 | FoME Symposium | Rethinking safety: Protecting media freedom in times of crisis

Simon Didszuweit simon.didszuweit at dw.com
Mo Jul 3 14:16:10 CEST 2023

FOME SYMPOSIUM 2023

Rethinking safety: Protecting media freedom in times of crisis

October 5 - 6, 2023. Kurt-Schumacher-Str. 1, 53113 Bonn, Germany

Dear FoME Community,

DW Akademie and Reporters Without Borders (RSF) Germany cordially invite you to this year's FoME Symposium "Rethinking safety: Protecting media freedom in times of crisis". It will take place on October 5th and 6th at Deutsche Welle's premises in Bonn.

The exciting program focuses on

  *   digital and mental security of journalistic work,
  *   discussions about crucial changes in media development policy and
  *   areas of increased attention such as feminist development cooperation.

We will tackle these topics in panel discussions and interactive workshop sessions.

While media development projects require structures that use a systematic, long-term approach, journalists and media outlets need to respond immediately to acute crises. As a result, the safety of media workers and media outlets has become a major focus of media development cooperation. Organizations in this field (in the North and South) increasingly find themselves compelled to include new aspects into their work, such as emergency aid, crisis intervention, psychosocial support, or assistance for media professionals in exile.

This can lead to a shift in focus and result in conflicting goals: expertise required at short notice is no longer available elsewhere, and a quick response for solving urgent problems makes it harder to achieve long-term goals.

At the FoME Symposium 2023, we would like to look at:

  *   How can safe environments and secure structures be developed as part of projects?
  *   How can we address the tension between acute crisis management and sustainable development cooperation?
  *   What do we need to consider when providing emergency aid?
  *   Which problems are likely to be overlooked when acute crises emerge?
  *   How can we take a holistic approach to security, i.e. the digital, mental, financial and legal aspects?
  *   And last but not least: How do we communicate this to donors and policymakers?

Please mark October 5th and 6th in your calendars!

More details about registration and participation as well as updates on the FoME Website<https://fome.info/> will follow this summer.

Online participation will be possible, but we especially look forward to meeting you in person. See you in October!

Kind regards on behalf of the organizational team,

Simon Didszuweit, Elena Zondler (both DW Akademie) and Sophie von Waitz (RSF)

Simon Didszuweit
Project Manager
Advocacy and Partnerships | Policy and Learning

DW (Deutsche Welle) | Kurt-Schumacher-Str. 3 | 53113 Bonn | Germany
T +49.228.429.3515<tel:+492284293515> | simon.didszuweit at dw.com<mailto:simon.didszuweit at dw.com>