[FoME] Wednesday 23 August: MiCT Webinar on Sudanese Journalism

Roman Deckert roman.deckert at gmail.com
Mo Aug 21 10:10:28 CEST 2023

Dear FoME-friends & -colleagues,

shortly after the outbreak of the most recent war in Sudan we at Media in
Coopeartion and Transition (MiCT) established a series of weekly Zoom calls
for an international expert audience with the primary purpose of amplifying
Sudanese voices. After our first focus was on the challenges for
journalists in Sudan and then followed by sessions to highlight other
themes, we are now going to check in again on the state of Sudanese
journalism as harrowing news keep piling up:

Just during the last weekend, the Sudanese Journalists Network (SJN)
reported that Sudanese photojournalist Isam Alhaj was killed after a mortar
hit his house in Khartoum. Earlier in August, the SJN accused the Rapid
Support Forces (RSF) of deliberately shooting Essam Marjan, a photographer
for Sudan TV, who died in the attack. Journalists who have fled from the
capital to other parts of the country have faced systematic harassment from
the Sudanese army and its intelligence agencies as well, let alone facing
existential economic problems, internet connectivity etc. At the same time,
many journalists have become refugees in neighbouring countries and
struggle to survive in exile. We are going to discuss these issues with:

- Hassan Ahmed Berkia, freelance journalist in exile and human rights
defender, one of the founders of the SJN and member of its secretariat.

-  Armel Gilbert Bukeyeneza, journalist and vice-secrétaire of the
International Press Association of East-Africa (IPAEA), who played a key
role in our recent focus group discussions in Nairobi with exiled
journalists from Sudan:
https://mict-international.org/s/20230711_ExiledJournalistsKenyaReport_V3.pdf

- Heidi Mirza, Cairo-based Communication and Information Consultant for
Sudan at UNESCO, which like the IPAEA and the Hannah-Arendt-Initiative of
the German Federal Foreign Office is a partner in extending our Fellowship
for Critical Voices Programme to the East African region.

We hope that other Sudanese journalists - especially those still inside
Sudan - and representatives of the Sudanese Journalists Syndicate (SJS)
shall manage to tune in as well, if the security situation and internet
connectivity allow.

Date and Time: *Wednesday, the 23rd of August 2023 at 4pm CAT / CEST
(Khartoum / Berlin).*

This is the Zoom-link which does not require registering in advance:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89834450332

You may also sign up here for updates:
https://mailchi.mp/mict-international/wednesday-sudan-talk

And to share information and questions, simply subscribe to our signal
group.
https://signal.group/#CjQKIF-uy9oVtuxK4WAIXaEr_6UIlCb54nvI7-BpPx-3Znu1EhASiuNU9u_ev7RkwkOuHEf1

Best regards from Geneva,

Roman
  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Roman Deckert
Senior researcher Sudan & South Sudan

Media in Cooperation and Transition gGmbH (MiCT)
Brunnenstraße 9
10119 Berlin, Germany

Mobile phone Germany:  +49 179 66 00 575
Mobile Switzerland /
WhatsApp / Signal: +41 79 424 38 27

mict-international.org
facebook.com/mictinternational