[FoME] New DW Akademie publications on media resilience

Petra Aldenrath petra.aldenrath at dw.com
Di Mai 31 11:59:48 CEST 2022

Dear all,

We thought it would be interesting for you to have a look at some new DW Akademie resources we have developed surrounding the issue of media resilience.

So many media organizations have been facing crisis in the past years: the COVID-19 pandemic, violent conflicts or natural disasters. Some were able to adapt - and we wanted to find out why.

Together with Ann Hollifield, Professor Emeritus at the Grady College of Journalism & Mass Communication at the University of Georgia, and with Enrique Naveda, co-founder of the news laboratory Plaza Publica in Guatemala I interviewed over 30 media organizations in 15 countries, who had experienced internal and external conflicts and natural disasters.

The results can be found in our newly published products:

1.      The "Media Resilience Scanner"<https://akademie.dw.com/resilience-scanner/> DW Akademie´s new digital tool the Media Resilience Scanner is a comprehensive online crisis preparation, management, and recovery tool for news organizations. It guides media professionals' step by step through the process of realistically evaluating and planning for the risks they face, managing crises as they occur, and assessing and addressing the residual risks to news media viability that follow major disruptions. Users can build their own individual crisis plan, including allocating responsibilities and creating deadlines for their staff. At the end, the Scanner generates a customized crisis preparation and management plan as a downloadable PDF.

2.       The discussion paper Weathering crisis. Ensuring Media Viability, continuity and resilience<https://static.dw.com/downloads/61319698/dw-akademie-weathering-crisis-discussion-paper-2022.pdf>, a call to action for media organizations to assess risks and prepare for crisis. It dissects the very complex issue of media resilience and continuity, while stressing the importance of careful preparation to increase organizational resilience. Weathering Crisis identifies best practices of news organizations to decrease their vulnerability to crises and disasters. The discussion paper is also available in Spanish. You can download it here: https://www.dw.com/es/el-momento-de-prepararse-para-las-crisis-es-ahora/a-61378936

We hope that our work is making a valuable contribution to the media and the media development community and would love to hear your feedback.

If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to contact me: petra.aldenrath at dw.com<mailto:petra.aldenrath at dw.com>

Best wishes,
Petra

Petra Aldenrath
Project Manager
Policy and Learning

DW (Deutsche Welle) | Kurt-Schumacher-Str. 3 | 53113 Bonn | Germany
T +49.228.429.2977<tel:+492284292977> | M +49.176.28245114<tel:+4917628245114> | petra.aldenrath at dw.com<mailto:petra.aldenrath at dw.com>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D874E5.8F3D1F30]<https://www.dw.com/en/dw-akademie/about-us/s-9519>