[FoME] Wtrlt: [gfmd-members] New research about the spread of online violence against women journalists published for International Day to Eliminate Violence Against Women (free to cross publish)

Sofie Jannusch Sofie.Jannusch at CAMECO.ORG
Mi Nov 25 18:11:19 CET 2020

>>> "Julie Posetti" <jposetti at icfj.org> 25.11.2020 12:42 >>>

Dear colleagues,

(With apologies in advance for cross-posting) Today we have published the first data from the UNESCO-ICFJ survey on online violence against women journalists to mark the International Day to Eliminate Violence Against Women.

The first data we're highlighting is pretty alarming: 73% of women journalists surveyed said they'd experienced online violence, and 20% said they'd been attacked or abused offline in incidents they said were seeded online.

The survey ran for six weeks, ending only two weeks ago, netting 1210 respondents across five languages. It's the most substantial and geographically diverse sample of any of the surveys conducted on this theme to date and we're very pleased with the responses. So, many thanks for your assistance with the survey's distribution.

We've released these first results via a syndicated op-ed. I've attached a word version of the piece (co-authored with Prof. Jackie Harrison and Prof. Silvio Waisbord) in case you'd like to carry it on your websites. We've published it under Creative Commons licence so it can be freely reproduced with attribution as an act of solidarity with targeted women journalists. You are also free to use and share the graphics attached.

So far, it's been published by DW, Rappler and a cut-down at The Conversation. Al Jazeera will shortly publish a version and others will follow.

All the best,

Julie

Dr. Julie Posetti – Global Director of Research
International Center for Journalists
| www.icfj.org | @ICFJ + @julieposetti | facebook.com/icfj.org

Make a tax-deductible donation now!

Senior Researcher: Centre for Freedom of the Media, University of Sheffield

Research Associate: Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, University of Oxford
Author: UNESCO's Protecting Journalism Sources in the Digital Age
Co-author: UNESCO's Journalism, 'Fake News' and Disinformation and Balancing Act: Countering Digital Disinformation While Respecting Freedom of Expression

This message is intended only for the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:
You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.
View/Reply Online (#147) | Reply To Sender | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic

GFMD Member mailing list
Email: gfmd-members at groups.io